Downtown Beaufort social district proposal advances

Council makes substantial progress after two work sessions

By Delayna Earley

The Island News

Beaufort’s proposed downtown social district moved from a philosophical debate to a discussion about operational details over two recent work sessions of the Beaufort City Council.

During the Jan. 27 session, council members wrestled with how quickly and how broadly to implement the idea. By the City of Beaufort’s regularly scheduled council meeting on Feb. 10, the conversation shifted to specific boundaries, operating hours, enforcement logistics and crime data.

Together, the meetings mark the most substantive progress yet toward launching a 90-day pilot program downtown.

Jan. 27: A debate over pace and scope

The Jan. 27 work session centered on whether the city should move aggressively to help downtown businesses or begin with a limited rollout.

Councilman Josh Scallate argued the city should move quickly, saying he believed the district should already be operational. He pointed to reports from other cities indicating that social districts have “tremendously help[ed] the businesses in that area.”

Scallate advocated for broader hours — suggesting a 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. schedule and potentially more days per week — contending that businesses need relief now rather than later. He also pushed back against characterizations that the district would transform downtown into a party scene.

“I don’t think that’s an accurate representation of what’s being proposed here,” Scallate said, describing instead a scenario where someone might grab a drink while waiting for a pizza and browse nearby shops — not create a “Vegas strip” atmosphere.

Other council members urged caution, suggesting that launching the program gradually could help ease public skepticism. One member compared the approach to “easing into the water versus one big splash,” arguing that starting smaller would allow the city to expand later if successful.

The Jan. 27 discussion focused largely on philosophy — how bold Beaufort should be in redefining its downtown experience.

Feb. 10: Structure, staffing, public reaction

By the Feb. 10 city council meeting, city staff presented a structured 90-day pilot proposal, shifting the conversation from theory to implementation.

Staff explained that a “tiger team” appointed in February 2024 had been meeting to identify ways to “strengthen downtown vitality, support local businesses, and increase economic activity”.

The group recommended exploring a social district as a tool to increase foot traffic and encourage longer dwell times.

Under the proposal presented Feb. 10, the pilot would run for 90 days and operate Wednesday through Saturday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

The proposed boundaries would stretch from Port Republic Street to the waterfront park area, incorporating walkways and restaurant-adjacent tables while excluding grass areas and the pavilion.

Beer and wine would be served in city-branded, dated plastic cups designed to be easily identifiable by law enforcement and participating businesses.

Clear signage would mark entry and exit points to the district, and disposal stations would be placed at boundaries to prevent containers from leaving the area.

The plan also calls for a dedicated community response team officer to be assigned during operating hours, supported by patrol units.

Police data shapes the discussion

Beaufort City Police Chief Stephenie Price told Council that staffing limitations informed the recommended six-hour window.

“It was our recommendation for six hours … three to four days a week and that is what we can fully dedicate an officer to being downtown,” Price said.

He also shared crime statistics within the proposed district footprint for 2025, including 13 assaults — 11 simple and two aggravated — as well as alcohol violations and disorderly conduct cases.

“It’s important to have an officer that’s responsive to your needs in the downtown area,” he said.

The presentation of crime data marked a shift from conceptual discussion to practical enforcement concerns.

Public comment reveals divided priorities

Feb. 10 drew substantial public input, reflecting both enthusiasm and skepticism.

Mark Cutler, Chairman of the Board of the Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce, told Council the chamber is “in full support” of the proposed district and emphasized that “many of our business owners [are] struggling right now.”

Angela Simmons, vice chancellor for student development at the University of South Carolina Beaufort, said students are looking for a “third space” downtown — somewhere to gather outside campus housing.

She noted that students are not necessarily seeking a place to drink but want more opportunities to engage with the life of downtown.

Residents also expressed concerns. Peggy Simmer, who lives within the proposed district, reminded Council that the social district would sit “in my front yard” and asked city leaders to include homeowners in discussions.

Another speaker cautioned that while downtown vibrancy is important, “the tool is alcohol,” urging Council to consider the broader implications for the historic district.

State law backdrop

South Carolina authorized municipalities to establish social districts in 2023, allowing defined downtown areas where alcohol may be carried outdoors in approved containers.

Several cities — including Charleston and Greenville — have since adopted similar programs.

Beaufort’s proposal would begin as a temporary pilot before any permanent designation.

What’s next?

No vote has been taken.

The Jan. 27 session framed the philosophical divide over how aggressively to proceed. The Feb. 10 meeting clarified the operational framework, introduced crime data and expanded public input.

Council is expected to continue refining operating hours, boundaries and enforcement provisions before bringing the ordinance forward for formal consideration.

The question now is not whether the idea exists — but how, and how quickly, Beaufort chooses to implement it.

Delayna Earley, who joined The Island News in 2022, formerly worked as a photojournalist for The Island Packet/The Beaufort Gazette, as well as newspapers in Indiana and Virginia. She can be reached at delayna.theislandnews@gmail.com.