Battery Creek High School
• Battery Creek High School senior Kallie Brown was selected as a semifinalist in the National Achievement Scholarship Program, an academic competition established in 1964 by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation to recognize outstanding African-American scholars. Kallie has a 4.55 cumulative GPA and has excelled in Advanced Placement and Honors courses. She participates in college-level dual enrollment courses at the Technical College of the Lowcountry and also served as a math tutor.
• The Annual Miss Battery Creek High School Pageant will be held on Saturday, October 13, at 6 p.m. in the John McVey Performing Arts Center. There will be five young ladies competing for the title: Ms.
Alexandra Bazemore, Ms. Kallie Brown, Ms. Ayanna Cobban, Ms. Shakayla Jenkins and Ms. Asia Taylor.
• Thursday, Oct. 4: Fourth grade Estuary Walk, 1:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 4: Parent Conferences.
• Friday, Oct. 5: Half day for all students, early dismissal at 11:30 a.m.
• Monday, Oct. 8: Columbus Day, no school.
• Tuesday, Oct. 9: The Lady’s Island Smoke Truck will be here to work.
• Tuesday through Thursday, Oct. 9-11, Senior Class fundraiser, Spirit Strands.
• Oct. 10: Flu Vaccine Clinic at BA by Lowcountry Urgent Care, 8-9:30 a.m
• Beaufort Academy’s SAT scores were once again higher than the national average, exceeding it by 163 points. All BA students take the nationally-administered Scholastic Assessment Test, and scored a cumulative 1,661 on the three parts of the exam. In addition, BA students who took the ACT (85% of seniors) also scored higher than the national average, averaging 23.3
• Thursday, Oct. 11: Parents Academy, Nutrition for Kids presented by Jenny Craft from Beaufort Memorial Hospital, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Beaufort Academy. Free, community event for parents. Childcare will be provided, RSVP required. Contact MJ Simmons to reserve your space at 843-524-3393 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Helena Elementary School
The tail wagging tutors are back! Students at St. Helena were very excited to meet the therapy dogs that will be working with students this year. Therapy dogs are dogs that are given special certifications to go into schools, hospitals and nursing homes after they attend a training class to earn this title. The dogs will be at St. Helena
every week reading with students. The presence of the dogs comfort students and help them to create positive associations with reading. The owners of the dogs ask students comprehension questions during reading to give students more practice using their reading strategies.
St. Peter’s catholic
St. Peter’s Catholic School hosted this season’s first cross country meet at Lady’s Island Country Club on Sept. 26. The teams included Riverview, St. Gregory the Great, Sea Pines Montessori and Lady’s Island Middle School. Congratulations to St. Peter’s for placing 1st place in the boys and girls categories.
• Oct. 11: Geo challenge 3:15 – 4 p.m.
• Oct. 15-19 Book Fair. Open to the public.
• Oct. 17: Cross Country meet at St. Francis 4:30 p.m.
• Oct. 17: 8th grade sponsoring spaghetti dinner from 5 – 6:30 p.m. Call for details. 522-2163. Proceeds to benefit class trip.
• Oct. 18: Chick-fil-A Day 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.