At around 10 am this morning Beaufort Middle School students were evacuated when one of the teachers noticed white smoke and an electrical smell emitting from the ceiling. Years off fire drills seemed to pay off when teachers were able to remove all of the students quickly without incident. Several fire trucks and firefighters arrived to access the situation, leaving students outside for about an hour on this beautiful March day.
It was determined that an air conditioning unit in one of the classrooms on hall D8 was the problem. The unit was disabled and all breakers were turned off. Students are back at work and parents have no reason to be alarmed.