This fall features a lot of events for literary lovers
Short Story America Festival & Conference
Friday, September 21
• Opening Seminar by Eric Witchey from 3 to 5 p.m., Short Story America.
• Opening Reception, 6 to 9 p.m., Old Bay Marketplace Loft.
Saturday, September 22
• Readings, Seminars and Book Signings, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., USCB Center for the Arts.
• Evening Session and Authors’ Reception, 5:30 to 9 p.m., USCB Center for the Arts.
Sunday, September 23
• Part Three of Eric Witchey Seminar, 1 to 2 p.m., Short Story America.
• Children’s Story Hour, 2 to 3 p.m., Short Story America, in Beaufort Town Center on Boundary Street.
All-events passes are available for $35 for the entire festival by registering at www.eventbrite.com or by going to www.shortstoryamerica.com. You may also get passes directly from Tim Johnston at Short Story America, by calling him at 843-597-3220 or 843-524-7800, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming book signings
• A book signing will be held on Sunday, September 23 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Beaufort County Black Chamber of Commerce located at 801 Bladen Street. Meet Alva Leader Brown, the author of “Christian Poetry in the Rhythm of Life.” She will read excerpts from her book. Refreshments will be available.
• Beaufort author and photographer Janet Garrity will also be signing copies of her just released book “Goin’ Down the River, Fish Camps of the Sea Islands” on Friday, September 28, from noon to 3pm, at Fordham Market, 701 Bay Street, Beaufort, SC. The book signing is hosted by Mags, Mugs & More, a retailer of specialty South Carolina products and local authors’ books located inside Fordham Market. Mags, Mugs & More is honored and excited to hold the debut book signing for Garrity’s unique photographic book about fish camps. The book is the author’s first publication, which includes Garrity’s original photos of Sea Island fish camps, history, stories, and old photos that depict the generational tradition of “goin’ down the river.” Call Fordham Market at 524-3161 or go to www.garrity.com for more information.
• McIntosh Book Shop will be presenting two authors on Saturday, Sept. 29, from 12 to 3 p.m. Janet Garrity will again be signing copies of her book: “Goin Down The River, Fish Camps of the Sea Islands.” And Sherman Carmichael, a South Carolina paranormal investigator and author of “Forgotten Tales of South Carolina,” will be signing copies of his latest book: “Legends and Lore of South Carolina.” McIntosh Book Shop is located on 917 Bay St. in Beaufort, in the Old Bay Market Place. For information, call 843-524-4119.
Fall is busy time for Beaufort library
Traci Cox, the information services coordinator at the Beaufort County Library, said despite recent budget cuts, the library remains committed to providing great programs for all ages.
“The library staff is very passionate about what they do,” she said, and they hope the community will take advantage of some of the new events at the Beaufort branch of the public library taking place this fall. Here’s some more information about story times and books clubs:
• Junior Book Club, Ages 7-9
Pick out books that you have read that you want to share with others. Snacks will be provided. Registration is required and has started. So if you are interested come by the Beaufort Library Branch and sign up as soon as possible.
Time and Date: Tuesdays 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. — September 25/ October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30/November 13, 27.
• Junior Book Club, Ages 10 – 12
Pick out books that you have read that you want to share with others. Snacks will be provided. Registration is required and has started.
Time and Date: Tuesdays, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. — September 25; October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; November 13, 27
• Toddler Time, Ages 2 to 3
Bring your young ones for stories, finger plays, rhymes, music, crafts and movies. Registration is required and has started.
Time and Date: Wednesdays 10 to 11 a.m. — September 26; October 3, 17, 24, 31; November 7, 14, 28.
• Lapsit Program, Ages 0-24 months
Bring your small ones for stories, finger plays, rhymes, music and tons of fun. Registration is required.
Time and Date: Wednesdays 11:15 to 11:45 a.m. — September 26; October 3, 17, 24, 31; November 7, 14, 28.
• Story Time with Darlene. Ages 4-6
Join us for stories and fun.
Time and Date: Thursdays 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. — September 27; October 4, 11, 18, 25; November 8, 15, 29
• Teen Book Club. Ages 12 – 18
Teens are invited to come and discuss books, Graphic Novels, Manga, etc. that they have read and share with their peers. Snacks will be provided.
Time and Date: Thursdays. 5 to 6 p.m. — September 27; October 4, 11, 18, 25; November 8, 15, 29.
All the events are free and take place at the Beaufort Branch Library, 311 Scott Street, Beaufort, SC 29902. For more information, call 843-255-6469, email email@example.com, or visit www.beaufortcountylibrary.org.