The Beaufort County School District has scheduled its third annual “Substitute Blitz” for Oct. 19, a day filled with dozens of interviews aimed at expanding the pool of available substitute teachers.
Seventy-five substitutes were hired following last year’s “Sub Blitz.” The district’s ultimate goal is to maintain an available pool of more than 500 so principals can quickly call on substitutes who are qualified to teach in a broad range of subject areas and grade levels.
“Our first two sub blitzes were extremely successful, and we have high hopes for this one,” said Alice Walton, the district’s Chief Administrative Services and Human Resources Officer.
Walton said the number of substitutes available to work on short notice has decreased in recent years due to attrition. “Some retire, some move away and some complete the process required to become full-time certified classroom teachers,” she said.
During the Oct. 19 “blitz,” district master teachers, principals and assistant principals will interview prescreened applicants who also had to complete a writing exercise.
Prescreened candidates selected to attend the “Sub Blitz” – and who successfully complete the interview process – will return later for orientation and training sessions before officially joining the substitute pool. Although South Carolina state rules require that substitute teachers have only a high school diploma, the Beaufort County School District requires a four-year college degree.
Persons interested in working as substitutes should complete an application on the school district’s website (www.applitrack.com/beaufort/onlineapp). The deadline to apply is Monday, Oct. 12. For more information, contact Jessica Plemmons at 843-322-2337.