COOSA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
• Coosa Elementary School is currently seeking local artists to help create inspirational murals of the Lowcountry. Students at Coosa are learning principles of leadership that will benefit them for a lifetime. As a school, Coosa is moving ahead to showcase their leadership theme of “Lowcountry Leaders” with murals in the school that symbolize the strength and beauty of the lowcountry. Designs include the Woods Bridge, the Hunting Island Lighthouse, and grand oak trees adorned with Spanish moss. These murals will be located throughout the school building.
Artists available to volunteer should contact Carmen Dillard at 843-322-6100 or Carmen.Dillard@beaufort.k12.sc.us.
BRIDGES PREPARATORY SCHOOL
• The newest charter school in the Beaufort area, Bridges Preparatory School (BPS) will be hosting an informational session on the Paideia methodology to be used in implementing their whole-child student centered STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) infused curriculum. Featuring guest lecturer Steve Ball, the session will be held on Tuesday, January 8, at 6 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club located on 1100 Boundary Street in Beaufort. The event is designed to answer questions about the Paideia method from prospective BPS parents, students, and teachers. The event is free of charge and open to the public. Interested parents, students, and teachers can RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. (RSVPs are not necessary, but encouraged to ensure adequate seating for all attendees.)
RIVERVIEW CHARTER SCHOOL
• Middle School Job Shadowing
Wanted: Individuals and businesses willing to host middle school students for our Middle School Job Shadowing Day February 14, 2013. If you or someone you know would be willing to have either an individual or small group of our middle school students shadow you at your job for an hour or two, please contact Patience Gordon. Middle schoolers have diverse interests in careers. Some careers of interest include veterinarians, mechanics, estheticians, computer programming, law, various medical professions, the military, the fine arts, sports, DNR, clothing design, and many more!
• New student enrollment for 2013-2014 school year is now open
Applications for students in Kindergarten through 8th grade are now being accepted at Riverview Charter School. Applications will be accepted until 6 p.m. on Thursday, January 31, 2013. Applications are available in the Front Office at Riverview; on the school’s web site; at the Wardle Family YMCA in Port Royal; at the Boys & Girls Clubs in Beaufort and Bluffton; and at the Beaufort, Bluffton, Lobeco and St. Helena branches of the Beaufort County Library System.
Options for returning completed applications to Riverview are as follows: Via fax at 843-379-0133; Via email to info@RiverviewCharterSchool.org; Drop-off to the Front Office at Riverview from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily, Monday through Friday; Via USPS mail to: Riverview Charter School, 81 Savannah Highway, Beaufort, SC 29906 (applications must be received — not postmarked — by 6 p.m. on January 31). In addition, tours of the school are available at 11 a.m. on Wednesdays during the month of January, and an Open House for all prospective students and their families will be held at Riverview on Thursday, January 17 at 6 p.m.
• Riverview elects new board of directors
The newly-elected Riverview Charter School Board of Directors for 2013 includes Sarah Brock; Martha Cooper-Hudson; Ashley Dando; Joseph Dunkle; Edward Foster; Michael Freeman; Stan Ganshow; Jonas Gadson; Shelley Kolb; Christy Levitt; Honika Plowdeniz; Evy Trask; and Jim Turk.
BATTERY CREEK HIGH SCHOOL
• The SADD Club has paired up with the National Souper Bowl of Caring, and is collecting cans of soup from now until Super Bowl Sunday. A collection box will be in the front office for donations, with donations being donated to local charities/soup kitchens. It is the goal to collect 200 cans of soup. The SADD Club has also joined national organizations and other schools to collect used jeans of all sizes. Jeans may be left in the front office for recycling.
• Thursday, Jan. 3: Interact; Student Government; Art Club
• Friday, Jan. 4: Culture Club; Project ASAP; SADD Club – Special meeting.
• Saturday, Jan. 5: Varsity Basketball home at 6 p.m.
• Monday, Jan. 7: NHS meets after school; Athletic Booster Club meets at 6 p.m. in cafeteria; JV Basketball at home at 6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 8: HOSA and the Drama Club meet after school; Band Booster Club meets at 5:30 p.m. in the Band Room; PTSO meets at 6 p.m. in the Media Center; SIC meets at
6:30 p.m. in the Media Center.
Send your school happenings to email@example.com.