• Thursday, March 1, is Beaufort Middle School’s orientation for rising 7th and 8th grade students for the 2012-2013 school year. Parents are invited to learn about what’s ahead next year for BMS 7th and 8th grade students and the registration process for classes for next year. Counselors, administrators, and teachers will share important information during this first step in the registration/transition process. Located in the cafeteria, 6 p.m. For more information, call the school office at 322-5700.
• Thursday, March 1, is the science fair judging at Beaufort Academy.
• Thursday, March 1, is Chick-Fil-A night for Riverview Charter School. Join your Riverview friends for dinner and show your Stingray Spirit! Ten percent of all proceeds (dine-in or drive-thru) will be donated to Riverview. This fundraiser has raised $1,136.23 this year.
• Friday, March 2, is Read Across America and Dr. Seuss’s birthday!
• Friday, March 2, is the last day of the book fair at Beaufort Academy. Science Fair Awards assembly starts at 8 a.m. in the gym followed by project breakdown.
• Friday, March 2, Riverview Charter School’s Uniform Free Friday (bring $5).
• Friday, March 2, is the annual Science Fair for Beaufort Middle School will be held in the school’s gym.
• Saturday, March 3, Riverview Charter School Job Fair.
• Saturday, March 3, Lady’s Island Intermediate School is have a yard sale to help raise money for its fifth grade students’ end-of-year field trip to NASA and Sea World.
• Monday, March 5, Session III of Tidewatch, an after-school program at Riverview Charter School will begin.
• Monday, March 5, is Spirit Night at Lady’s Island Middle School. Every first Monday of the month 10 percent of all sales at Jersey Mike’s Subs from 3 p.m. to close go to Lady’s Island Middle School’s Athletic Booster Club.
• Monday, March 5, at Lady’s Island Elementary School is “Bring your Parent to School Day” from 9-11 a.m. Parents are invited to walk in their children’s shoes for the morning.
• Monday, March 5, second trimester report cards go home from Riverview Charter School students. Also first day of Scholastic Book Fair.
• March 5-9, Standardized testing for grades 1-8 at Beaufort Academy.
• Tuesday, March 6, is Beaufort Academy’s Open House for parents interested in grades 1-4, 6 p.m.
Port Royal Elementary Principal moves to Joseph S. Shanklin
The Board of Education has unanimously approved the selection of veteran educator Jo Shirley as the new principal of Joseph S. Shanklin Elementary School. Shirley, principal of Port Royal Elementary School for the past two years, will take over at Joseph S. Shanklin next school year. She replaces Mark Mansell, who is moving to Robert Smalls Middle.
Deadline Extensions for Student Transfer
The deadline for parents to request student transfers to schools outside their zoned attendance areas has been extended until Friday, April 6. The necessary forms are available at the district office and on the district’s website. Parents of students in the Battery Creek Cluster who will transition to new schools for the 2012-13 school year will have an opportunity to visit their assigned schools at a series of six parent information meetings scheduled over the next month.
· Joseph S. Shanklin Elementary School – Tuesday, March 6 (6 p.m.)
· Whale Branch Elementary School – Thursday, March 8 (6 p.m.)
· Whale Branch Middle School – Thursday, March 8 (7 p.m.)
· Beaufort Elementary School – Tuesday, March 13 (6 p.m.)
· Broad River Elementary School – Thursday, March 29 (6 p.m.)
“Trial of the Big Bad Wolf” Performance
Thursday, March 1, Riverview Charter School presents a play by the middle school creative arts and drama students, 6:30 p.m. in the Commons. “A court case of the Big Bad Wolf, who claims he is innocent! Come see the Three Little Pigs try to put him in jail because of all his huffing and puffing.”
Dr. Seuss’s Birthday
On Friday, March 2, students and staff in several local elementary schools will celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday. Mossy Oaks Elementary students and staff will be allowed to wear appropriate pajamas for some cozy reading. Lady’s Island Elementary School is serving up green eggs and ham for breakfast and guest readers from the community will visit classrooms. LIES students will dress up as their favorite storybook character and classroom doors will be decorated with the classes’ favorite books. Even The Cat in the Hat will visit in the afternoon to top off the reading celebration.
BMS Science Fair
March 2 Beaufort Middle School will be hosting its annual science fair. Categories for competition include: Botany, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering, Computers, Physics, Astronomy, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Zoology, and Medicine Over 225 students will be defending their projects to Sea Island Regional Science Fair judges.
ECM’s Got Talent
On Saturday March 3, E.C. Montessori and Grade School will be hosting its first ever family “fun-raiser” talent show at the Shed in Port Royal starting at 3:30 p.m.. There will be a silent auction, children’s petting zoo, live music and more.
Submit Poetry and Photography
Beaufort Academy’s literary magazine, Seasons of the Pen, is making a comeback. Students should send poetry or black & white photos they would like to be published to Mrs. Dinkins by March 13.
The Island News Favorites
The Island News is having a contest to recognize the best professional, schools, and businesses in the area. Don’t forget to vote for your favorite school at http://www.yourislandnews.com/5686-2/.