MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. ANNUAL PARADE
The annual parade, sponsored by the Beaufort County Ministerial Alliance, will take place Monday, January 20, at 10 a.m. and will follow the traditional parade route through downtown. For more information, contact Carrie Allen at 843-846-8050.
EVENTS AT PENN CENTER
• Penn Center Community Sing: Join in celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and the Spirituals as they were traditionally intoned in the Sea Islands. There will be a special re-enactment of the “I Have A Dream” speech by Dr. Edward Johnson at this free event Sunday, January 19, at 6:30 p.m. at the Frissell Community House, 16 Penn Center Circle West, St. Helena Island, S.C. Contact Penn Center at 843-838-2432.
• On Exhibit at Penn Center’s York W. Bailey Museum: Gullah Visions: This exhibition features artists Arianne King-Comer, Charles Desaussure, Diane Britton Dunham, Bruce Ingram, Leonard Jones, Francina Smalls-Joyner, Min. Johnnie Simmons, Brenda Singleton, Geraldine Smith, Saundra Renee Smith, Jery Bennett-Taylor, Irene Tison and Gwen Williams. Exhibit will run through January 25. The York W. Bailey Museum is open Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Contact the museum at 838-8550.
• Created Equal Film and Discussion Series: “The Drum Major”: This short docudrama about the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was an official selection of the Amnesty International Human Rights
Film Festival in 2010 and was written, directed and produced by Michael Mack. It will be shown Wednesday, January 22, from noon to 3 p.m. at Penn Center’s Frissell Community
• Created Equal Film & Discussion Series “Freedom Riders”: PBS American Experience documentary on civil rights activists who challenged segregation, simply by traveling on buses and trains in 1961. See it Wednesday, January 29, at 1 p.m. at Penn Center’s Frissell Community House.
CLOSINGS FOR THE MLK HOLIDAY
• All Beaufort County offices will be closed Monday, January 20, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
• The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles will be closed Monday, January 20 for the state holiday. For more information about hours, visit www.scdmvonline.com.
• Most schools will be closed Monday, Jan. 20, as well as many area daycare facilities.