First Presbyterian Church turns 100

in Uncategorized by

“Presbyterians in Beaufort sought to establish a church in the 1740s and 1880s. It was not until 1912 that 16 people formed a permanent congregation …” These are the opening words that will appear on a new historical marker located outside First Presbyterian Church.
On Sunday, May 13, the church will kick off the celebration of its centennial with a dedication and unveiling of the historical marker, which was approved by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. A proclamation by the city has officially declared May 13, 2012, First Presbyterian Church Day in Beaufort.
Also, on Sunday, May 20, the community is invited to help celebrate the church’s milestone with an anniversary reception following the 11 a.m. service.
In commemoration of the centennial, historian and author and congregation member Page Putnam Miller has written a comprehensive book about the church titled, “Celebrating One Hundred Years: The History of First Presbyterian Church, Beaufort, South Carolina.”
First Presbyterian, located downtown on the corner of Church and North streets, will also host a variety of activities to mark its 100th year. For more information, visit www.firstpresbeaufort.org or call 843-524-3051.