Farmer’s Market Ratatouille
1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 medium red, green and/or yellow bell peppers, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
- Put eggplant and zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss lightly.
- Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a heavy, nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions until translucent—about 3 minutes. Stir in peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and basil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes, or until vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Uncover and cook another 5 minutes to reduce liquid.
Ratatouille is best made a day ahead to allow flavors to blend. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrient Analysis per serving
Protein 4 g
Fat 5 g
Carbohydrate 17 g
Sodium 370 mg
Cholesterol 0 mg