Burton Fire District responds to 2 house fires

in News by

From staff reports

The Burton Fire District responded to a second house fire on the evening of Wednesday, Jan. 6 which displaced a resident.

Just after 7:30 p.m., the Burton Fire District and Beaufort County EMS, responded to a report of a house fire on Goethe Hill Rd. The caller stated that his house was on fire and he was evacuating.

Firefighters arrived on scene and reported smoke coming from the home. The fire, which was located in the attic area, was quickly brought under control; however, firefighters remained on scene for more than two hours in the chilly evening extinguishing smoldering embers in the duct work and insulation.

The resident was displaced. No injuries were reported.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a malfunction in the HVAC which the resident stated had not been working properly.

This was the second house fire for the Burton Fire District.

Earlier in the day, just before noon, Burton firefighters extinguished a kitchen fire in the Mint Point community. Firefighters arrived on scene to smoke coming from the home, and was able to extinguish the fire using fire extinguishers from their fire truck.

This fire caused only minor damages. Two children and an adult were in the home at the time. No injuries were reported.

This was the third fire for the year for the Burton Fire District. On Monday, Jan. 4, Burton firefighters helped extinguish a vehicle fire that was threatening a home.