Burton FD responds to 4th house fire last night in less than a week

in Uncategorized by

Burton FD_Forest Filed Fire_022615Another smoke detector saves another family in Burton.

A smoke detector again saves a young family with a new infant in the Forest Field

development as a clothes dryer fire quickly filled the small home with toxic smoke.

Burton firefighters were summoned to Pinto Court in the Forest Field subdivision just after

10pm Wednesday night for a report of a house fire. Fire crews from the nearby Shell Point fire station

arrived on scene in minutes and reported smoke coming from the small single story home.

Firefighters located and extinguished a fire inside a clothes dryer halting the fire before it spread

into the walls. The Burton Fire District assisted the residents by removing smoke from the home

and provided the young family with additional smoke detectors. The fire was confined to the

laundry room with minor charring to the wall.

The male resident, a young Marine, stated his smoke detector activated and he saw flames

coming from the clothes dryer. Acting quickly, he grabbed his days old newborn infant and he

and his wife and another adult in the home fled and called 911.

Burton fire officials’ state that once again not only did the smoke detector save lives, but also

gave early notification of a small growing fire which enabled firefighters to be called in enough

time to make a difference.

This is one of four fires for Burton firefighters in just a week in what fire officials fear is a

dangerous spike, and are urging residents to clean dryers fully and mount ABC fire extinguishers

nearby for quick use in such events.