ARTblast Summer Camp: ARTblast is an opportunity for children and young adults to experience art in different mediums and themes:
• Week One (June 17-21) is Drawing 102: learn all about becoming a better drawer, facial proportion, how to draw three-dimensionally, and how to use value and shading to make their drawings look more realistic. Expand your drawing knowledge!
• Week Two (June 24-28) Three-dimensional is the way to go: learn about all the different ways to create 3D art. Create with clay mache sculptures, tin boxes, coil basketry, polymer clay, and soap. This week will be full of hands on fun.
• Week Three (July 8-12) All about the oddities: learn to create works of art from odd and unusual things. Create wooden doll sculptures, clay heads, and a shadow box using materials like old jewelry, spoons, scrap wood, and polymer clay. This week will be full of the odd and the unusual, come push your creativity to the max!
Fee includes: instruction, studio use, and materials. Space is limited so sign up for the weeks that your child will enjoy. For more information please contact Artworks at 843-379-2787 and www.artworksinbeaufort.org, or email ARTblast director CJ Simonds at Carolyn.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule: 8-10:30 a.m. for 6 to 8 year olds; 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for 9 to 12 year olds; 3 to 6 p.m. for 13 to 17 year olds. Fees: 6-8 year olds are $70 and older ages are $80.
2013 TheaterART Summer Camp: TheaterART at ARTworks is a great place for children ages 6-16 to explore all aspects of the stage, performing, designing, and writing, in a fun and inspiring environment. Each session will have a showcase on Friday for family and friends to see what we’ve worked so hard on! Fee includes: instruction from a licensed theater educator, stage use, materials, and a small snack each day. Space is limited, so sign up for the weeks your child will enjoy ahead of time. For more information please call ARTworks (843-379-2787) or email Heather Denardo directly at email@example.com. Cost: $110 per one week session, limited scholarships available.
• Performance Skills (June 10-14) This week will focus on the foundations of performance – presence, character, voice, and movement. Each class will write their own play and apply the skills they learn to create a production for family and friends.
• Lowcountry Fairy Tails (June 17-21) Inspired by the flora, fauna, and unique culture of the Lowcountry, this class will perform well-loved fairy tales … with a twist! Students will learn basic performance skills while also getting a taste of the rich heritage of the Lowcountry.
• Theatrical Design (June 24-28) Not really crazy about performing, but have creativity that’s ready to be shared? This class is for you! We will focus on the backstage side of theater — costume and set design — and learn how these invaluable pieces come together with the play to create a production that is cohesive and imaginative.
• The Amazing World of Puppetry! (July 8-12) Using every day, household items we will create different kinds of puppets and learn some of the art of puppetry. Family and friends are invited on the last day of class to see our wacky creations! Mornings will be for 6 to 9-year-olds; Afternoons for 10 to 16-year-olds. ARTworks is located in Beaufort Town Center, 2127 Boundary St.
BAA Membership Drive: 1962 was the Quadricentennial (400 years) of the landing of Jean Ribaut with a group of Huguenots on what is now Parris Island. A committee called the Prologue to Freedom was formed to celebrate this event during March of 1962 in Beaufort. The group called out to artists to create oil paintings that would reflect this great event in our local history. The late Catherine Wolfe’s oil painting was a winning entry. It depicts the landing with numerous French crests surrounding the scene. The original now hangs in Beaufort City Hall; 1,000 prints were made of the original painting and only 100 survive today. Mrs. Wolfe was a founder and past-president of Beaufort Art Association. Now, 51 years later, Beaufort Art Association is offering these reproductions of Catherine Wolfe’s painting to the public during our 2013 membership drive. Any new member will receive one of the few remaining prints in existence. Please contact Beaufort Art Association for more information 843-521-4444 www.beaufortartassociation.com.