USCB 16th Annual Juried Student Exhibition: Some of the most outstanding artwork created by students at the University of South Carolina Beaufort will be on display at the 16th Annual Juried Student Exhibition April 29 through May 24 at the USCB Center for the Arts Gallery, 801 Carteret St. Among those selected to display their artwork are: USCB students Emily Yaden, John Roberts, Kelsey Borden and Frances McNair. Deanna Bowdish, owner of “The Gallery” in Beaufort, will serve as the juror for the annual student exhibition. The opening reception for the exhibition will take place Monday, April 29 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Awards will be presented at 6:15 p.m. Gallery hours for the exhibition are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
ARTworks after school April-May 2013:
These creativity-filled classes are for students 5 years and up. All classes meet one day each week. Family and two-class discounts are available on select classes, and limited scholarships are available.
• Saturdays, April 20, 27, & May 4: Calendar Stories Workshop with Lisa Rentz for ages 8-12, $55, 10 am-noon. Creative writing, book-making and recycling all in one. Write your stories and poems and then bind them in a picture calendar, re-decorated by you.
• Saturdays, April 20, 27, & May 4: Henna Designs on the Paper, with Ranna P. Desai, Instructor for ages 12-16, $65, 2-3:30 p.m. Learn to create henna the ethnic way by assembling beautiful elements like flowers, leaves, petals, borders, etc. on the paper in order to work it on your skin with henna.
• Tuesdays, April 23-May 21: Watercolor 102 with Jean Norton-Torjussen for ages 10-16, $55 + $5 supplies fee. Mixing American and Asian watercolor techniques allows participants to experiment with medium, papers, brushes and pens
• Tuesdays, April 23-May 21: Color Spark with Cindy Male, Instructor for ages 5-7, $55 + supplies. This class will spark the youth with hands on manipulation of materials and tools. Tools for drawing, tools for stamping, tools for gardening, tools for cooking, tools for construction. Color and spark-el follow. Materials to be used are heavy paper, crayons, water color paints, glitter, stencils, containers that vegetables come in from the store, scissors, glue, magazines, papers of different varieties and weights, and fabric.
• Wednesdays, April 24-May 22: Quilting with Head, Heart, and Hands with Mary Campbell, for ages 9-13, $55. “Quilting with Head, Heart, and Hands” is a fun beginning quilting class. Students will learn about the history and tradition of quilt making, and they will master basic sewing techniques for hand piecing. This is a hands-on class designed to build knowledge, skills, and confidence needed for future projects and lifelong learning. At the end of the session, each student will have completed a small wall hanging.
• Thursdays, April 25-May 23: Modern Design with Cindy Male, Instructor for ages 13-18, $55 plus supplies. Creativity, form follows function, and logical, cognitive decision-making will be necessary to complete assignments surrounding a search for the origins of world-class design in modern life. Students will need a medium size sketch pad, ruler, HB and 2B drawing pencils, color pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener, and watercolors. They are required to bring at least one picture of a building, jewelry, fashion, car, or furniture that they would like to share.
• Thursdays, April 25-May 23: Mandalas & More with Jean Norton-Torjussen for ages 10-14, $55. Do you find kaleidoscopes fascinating? Then Mandala art is for you! Learn how to create dynamic, beautiful and inspiring designs using pen & ink and watercolor pencils.
• Thursdays, April 25-May 23: Explorations in Theater with Heather Denardo, for ages 6-9, $55. Designed with beginner actors in mind, this experience will acquaint students with the theater and all that is involved in being onstage. We will learn many actor warm-ups, improvisation games, and focusing techniques. Of course, the best way to learn about theater is to DO IT, so we will get onstage and improvise our favorite stories.
• Move Your Art ON….! with Cindy Male Saturdays, 1–3:30 p.m., April 20–June 1: Begin your journey to expanded personal awareness with perceptual stimulation through yoga and guided meditation. This class is for beginning, budding, and seasoned artists who would like to get out of a rut and enjoy discovering opportunities to access what Edgar Cayce called the ‘super conscious’ mental level. Parents with teens, this is a great “let’s do this together” activity. Register at ARTworks, 379-2787. ARTworks is located in Beaufort Town Center, 2127 Boundary Street.