Sea Island Quilters to meet at Praise Assembly
The Sea Island Quilters will meet on Thursday, August 15, 6 p.m. at Praise Assembly, 800 Parris Island Gateway. The speaker will be, Anne Marcellis, quilt pattern designer and teacher. She will lecture on “Journey to Creative Quilting”. Anne will also teach a workshop on Saturday, August 17, at Carteret Street United Methodist Church from 9 AM to 4 PM. The workshop topic is Swirling table runners. Space for the workshop is limited. For details contact Diana DeWitt at 379-3353 or www.beaufortsiq.com.
Back to School Luncheon offered
The Low Country Women’s Fellowship, also known as “TLC Women,” invites you to join them Saturday, August 17 @ 1:00 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn for their 1st annual “Back To School Luncheon.” The purpose of this luncheon is to provide food, fun, and fellowship for women, while providing a venue to give back to the local community. Activities include preparing Back Packs with school supplies for children in need. The lunch at the event is optional and costs $15. For questions, please contact Tonya Johnson Phillips at 843-322-0262.
Fun activities at ARTworks
• Saturday, August 17: Collaged Framed Art Card with Laurie Lovell — Create an artistically collaged card insert for a framed card, focusing on tactile elements, images, colors and surface techniques. This 1 to 3:30 p.m. class is for people 10 years and older or adult/child teams, only $15 with optional materials available. See additional materials list of “Your Working Tools” from instructor prior to class time. 843-379-2787 to register. Laurie Lovell received her Masters of Fine Arts in Fibers at The Savannah College of Art and Design; her undergraduate degree in Graphic Design from Ohio University. Her love for process, tactile materials and hand made fabric has continued to inspire her work and art.
• Saturday, August 24: “-scapes” with Laurie Lovell @ ARTworks — Landscape, cityscape, seascape, escape…create assemblages on canvas or paper with highly textured and tactile collage surfaces, with painted, drawn, and stitched techniques, and applied found objects. This class is open to creative self-driven individuals with some art experience. Maximum of 10 participants. 10-4 p.m., $60 includes most materials. See additional materials list of “Your Working Tools” from instructor prior to class time. 379-2787 to register
August Event at the Lobeco Branch Library
• History Book Club — We will be discussing The Proud Tower by William H. McNeill. Dr. Bruce Smith will be leading the discussion. The event will take place on Tuesday, August 20 at 4:00 pm. It will be held at the Lobeco Branch Library, 1862 Trask Parkway, Lobeco, SC 29931. Admission is free. Call 843-255-6479 or email email@example.com with more questions. The website is beaufortcountylibrary.org.
Christian Connection to host Sweetgrass Lady
Beaufort Christian Women’s Connection, Sponsored by Stonecroft Ministries, will present Sweetgrass Baskets of the Lowcountry on Thursday, Aug. 22 from 11:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn at 2015 Boundary St. Guest Feature will be Jery B. Taylor, the Sweetgrass Lady of St. Helena Island. Baskets will be on sale at the luncheon. Guest speaker is Ann Hart, and her topic is Finding the Missing Piece of the Puzzle. Tickets are $13.00. Reservations or cancellations must be made by Friday, August 16th. Call or E-mail Karen Whitehead at 838-7627 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARTworks celebrates five years at meeting
Be the guest for a celebration of the arts at ARTworks in Beaufort Town Center. The program includes an overview of the past 5 years, a peek into the vision of the future and other surprises. The Bull Grapes will perform, the Quilt of Humanity will be revealed, and hors d’oeuvres will be served. The August 24, 2013 Annual Meeting @ ARTworks will be surrounded by artists working in their studios, a gallery, the black box theater, and classrooms, all located at 2127 Boundary Street Beaufort 29902 (along with the Beaufort Bookstore and BiLo.) www.ArtWorksInBeaufort.org, 843-379-2787, @artseensc.
Fellowship Choir hosts dinner theater
The Fellowship Concert Choir (FCC) of Beaufort, South Carolina will present “An Evening of Praise, Joy and Laughter,” a Dinner Theatre that will include a mini-concert, skits and entertainment on Saturday, August 24 at 5pm at the Quality Inn at Beaufort Town Center. Cost is $25.00.
For more Information, please call (843) 812-6111.
Volunteer training for CODA to be held
CODA (Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse) will be holding a volunteer training
in August. The training is comprised of four sessions which will be held August 24th from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and August 26th, 27th, and 28th from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. CODA volunteers will be trained in working with victims of domestic violence, answering the 24-hour crisis line and a variety of activities working either on site in CODA’s shelter or at various community events as representatives of CODA. Interested individuals can download the application by visiting CODA’s website at www.codalowcountry.org and clicking the “volunteer” tab. Pre-registration is required. For more information please contact Theresa Lacey at 843-770-1074 ext. 225.
Yard sale to benefit Unitarian Fellowship
The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Beaufort will hold its Second Annual Mulit-Family Yard Sale on Saturday, August 31, from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. Clothing, household items, books, furniture. Come find your new treasure and support our growing church. 178 Sams Point Rd., Lady’s Island (One mile from Publix).
BCHS announces BC Community night
Battery Creek Athletics is proud to announce BC Community Night on Friday, September, 6th. This is the night of the first ever home Varsity Football game between Battery Creek and Whale Branch Early College High School. BCHS wants our community there to help us celebrate. Whether you have been here a long time, are a newcomer, BC Student, civilian, military, business, civic group, or other, The Creek wants you at Dolphin Field on this date. There will be a BC Community Village set up between the pool and field house. Vendors will be charged $25 to set-up a table to sell items. Please contact Coach Drafts at email@example.com or 843-322 5574 for more information.
St. Helena Branch Library’s fall adult events
• The St. Helena Cooking Club — Members meet to share recipes, food and conversation and everyone is welcome. Each month a theme; ethnic cooking, regional fare, international cuisine, etc. is chosen. Members present items that fit within the theme. Books, recipes, food and memories are made and shared. Come join us, whether you want to prepare a dish or be a sampler, the St. Helena Cooking Club has a place for you. The event dates are as follows: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. (Theme = Seafood), Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. (Theme = Oktoberfest), Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. (Theme = Holiday Memories). Admission is free. The location of the event is in the St. Helena Branch Library Community Meeting Room, 6355 Jonathan Francis Sr. Rd, St. Helena Island, SC 29920. For more information, call 843-255-6540 or visit beaufortcountylibary.org.
• All Books Considered — Join us for a discussion of books of all genres – historical fiction, mysteries, classics, biographies, and more! Our September book is Canada by Richard Ford. Winner of the 2013 Carnegie Medal for Fiction, the novel introduces the reader to a teenage boy left to rebuild his life and redefine the truths he thought he knew after his parents rob a bank. This program is intended for adult readers. The event will be held on Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 10:30 a.m. Admission is free. The location of the event is in the St. Helena Branch Library Community Meeting Room, 6355 Jonathan Francis Sr. Rd, St. Helena Island, SC 29920. For more information, call 843-255-6540 or visit beaufortcountylibary.org.