Here is an update from the city of Beaufort concerning construction downtown as of April 16.
Installation of new street lights continues along the north side of Bay Street. Details of recent work include:
• Brick pavers along the sidewalk are completed from Carteret to Scott Street;
• New streetlight foundations are being poured this week from Carteret to Scott Street;
• Parking meters are back in place from Carteret to Scott streets;
• Debris from the demolition of sidewalk concrete (needed for the new streetlights) is being removed from Scott to Charles Street; after that, installation of irrigation for plantings and electrical conduit for the lights will follow;
• Parking meters have been removed from Scott Street to Charles Street as the streetlight project continues down Bay Street.
It is anticipated that approximately 75 percent of the brick pavers and foundations for the new lights will be installed on the commercial section of Bay Street by April 30. Parking along both sides of Bay Street will be open except for those in the immediate area of streetlight construction.
As for the traffic signal mast arms along Charles Street, motorists should expect temporary lane closures and traffic delays as crews begin installing the new traffic signal mast arms at three locations:
• Charles and Bay streets
• Charles and Craven streets
• Charles and Boundary streets.
Alternate routes are recommended when possible.
Concrete work to improve the handicap ramps will continue this week at the intersection of Craven and Charles streets. The contractor, Walker Brothers, will bore under the intersection there this week.