By Harlene Deane
Waiting all year for the Shrimp Festival? Well, your wait is finally over! As you head out to taste all the wonderful shrimp dishes with your family and friends, keep this recipe in mind.
Grilled Shrimp Salad with Corn and Avocado
• 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 3 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
• 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Metal skewers
• 2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
• 3 large ears of corn, husked
• 1 loaf ciabatta bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
• Olive oil
• 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
• 12 cups spring lettuce mix (Publix)
• 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
Dressing: Whisk first four ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Slowly whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. This can be made two hours ahead.
Salad: Prepare grill (medium heat). Thread shrimp on skewers. Place shrimp skewers, corn, and bread slices on two large rimmed baking sheets and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of shrimp with paprika. Grill corn until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side; grill bread slices until browned; grill shrimp until cooked through.
Transfer corn, bread and shrimp to work surface. Cut the kernels off the cob and place in a large bowl. Add shrimp, lettuce and avocado. Toss salad with enough dressing to coat. Serve with the ciabatta. Serves 4-6. Uncork the wine and you’re all set! Enjoy!