BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
• Beaufort Academy levels Crown Leadership Academy, 86-33: Beaufort Academy moved ahead early and never faltered on its way to defeating visiting Crown Leadership Academy 86-33 in a boys’ high school basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 30. Dawson Coleman led Beaufort Academy with 18 points, while Rowan Higgins contributed 15 points, William Tumlin netted 14 points and Thomas Holladay added 11 points. Max Emerson and David Matthai added nine points apiece for the Eagles.
• John Paul II 59, Beaufort Academy 42: Homestanding John Paul II scored first and never trailed as it pulled away to defeat Beaufort Academy 59-42 in a boys’ high school basketball game on Monday, Jan. 29.
• John Paul II 63, Beaufort Academy 46: John Paul II upended host Beaufort Academy 63-46 in a boys’ high school basketball game on Wednesday, Jan. 31. Dawson Coleman paced Beaufort Academy with a game-high 23 points. Thomas Holladay and David Matthai added eight points apiece for the Eagles.
• BA falls to Hilton Head Christian Academy: The Beaufort Academy Eagles fell short in a bid to notch a win on the road last Friday night, 53-44. With the loss, Beaufort Academy dropped to 6-10 overall and 3-8 in the region. Dawson Coleman paced Beaufort Academy with a game-high 25 points.
GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
• John Paul II 47, Beaufort Academy 45 (OT): In a girls’ high school basketball game, host John Paul II held on to beat Beaufort Academy 47-45 in overtime behind a game-winning shot from Ayannah Thompson on Monday, Jan. 29. Kendall Duncan led Beaufort Academy with 15 points and Karolina Struharova contributed 14 points. Emily Ann Hiers and Amelia Huebel posted eight points apiece for the Eagles.
• John Paul II 49, Beaufort Academy 42: Host Beaufort Academy’s bid to for a win on Wednesday, Jan. 31 fell short as host John Paul II held on to prevail 49-42. Becca Frelin and Emily Ann Hiers led a balanced Beaufort Academy scoring effort with seven points apiece.
• BA Girls falter after strong start, drop game to HHCA: Visiting Beaufort Academy led 16-12 at the conclusion of the first quarter but couldn’t maintain control of the contest as Hilton Head Christian Academy battled back to take a lead and eventually pulled away to win 53-38 in a girls’ high school basketball game last Friday night. Homestanding Hilton Head Christian Academy outscored Beaufort Academy 17-5 in the second quarter to carry a 29-21 lead into halftime. Kendall Duncan led Beaufort Academy with 10 points, while Amelia Huebel and Karolina Struharova added nine points apiece.
Battery Creek High School
• Battery Creek knocks off May River, 49-31: Battery Creek passed its latest test last Friday night, defeating visiting May River 49-31 in a highly-anticipated Region 8-3A girls’ basketball game. The victory allowed Battery Creek to claim the No. 2 seed in Region 8-3A. With the win, Battery Creek improved to 16-5 overall and 5-2 in the region. Ta’Quasia Lampkin led the Dolphins with 12 points,six rebounds and three blocks, while Trinity Coney contributed nine points.
Beaufort High School
• Beaufort High drops heartbreaker to Colleton County: Beaufort High was denied a win on the road on Tuesday, Jan. 30 as host Colleton County pulled out a 41-40 win. Beaufort High and Colleton County swapped leads throughout the game. Brittany Linton led Beaufort High with a team-best 12 points, with Jhaniya Lynch posting eight points.