Beaufort Academy players selected for all-region teams
The following girls Beaufort Academy basketball players were selected to the SCISA Region IV All-Region Team: First Team, Karolina Struharova; Second Team, Amelia Huebel and Kendall Duncan. Also, BA Coach Lillian Aldred was selected as Region Co-Coach of the Year. The girls team finished the regular season 13-7 overall and 8-4 in region play. SCISA state playoffs start Friday, Feb. 16. The only BA boys player selected to the 2017-18 SCISA AA Region IV All-Region First Team was sophomore Dawson Coleman.
GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
• Beaufort Academy defeats St. Andrew’s in regular-season finale: Beaufort Academy pulled away to defeat host St. Andrew’s 61-35 in a girls’ high school basketball regular-season finale last Friday, Feb. 9. Karolina Struharova led Beaufort Academy with a game-high 24 points, Amelia Huebel added 11 points, and Kendall Duncan netted nine points.
• Beaufort Academy 60, Thomas Heyward Academy 32: Karolina Struharova scored a game-high 20 points to lead Beaufort Academy past host Thomas Heyward Academy 60-32 on Tuesday, Feb. 6. Beaufort Academy downed Thomas Heyward Academy for its 12th win in the 2017-18 season. Amelia Huebel added 16 points, while Emily Ann Hiers netted nine points.
Beaufort High School
• Beaufort High levels Hilton Head High, 40-15: The Beaufort High girls’ basketball team defeated visiting Hilton Head High 40-15 last Thursday to claim its spot heading into the upcoming Class 4A Playoffs.
Beaufort High prevailed easily on Senior Night, moving ahead in the first half and never faltering after halftime. Brittany Linton led the Lady Eagles with a game-high 13 points, and Jhaniya Lynch added 10 points in the victory.
BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
• Beaufort High fall to Hilton Head High: Beaufort High lost to visiting Hilton Head High in a varsity boys’ high school basketball game as the Seahawks pulled away to win 58-42 last Thursday night. Beaufort High started strong. The Eagles led 10-9 at the conclusion of the first quarter but couldn’t maintain an advantage over Hilton Head High.
• Beaufort Academy drops game at Thomas Heyward Academy: Beaufort Academy fell short in its bid to notch a win on the road on Tuesday, Feb. 6 as host Thomas Heyward Academy held on to win 56-49. With the loss, Beaufort Academy dropped to 6-11 overall and 3-9 in the region. Dawson Coleman scored a game-high 21 points for the Eagles, while Thomas Holladay added 12 points.
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING
• Beaufort High varsity wrestling will hold Individual Lower State qualifiers at the school on Friday, Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 17, at 10 a.m.
• Whale Branch Early College High School graduate Dee Delaney has earned an invite to the NFL Combine. He will be one of the 300 college players to compete in the event Feb. 27-March 5 in Indianapolis.