State Senator Tom Davis, who represents District 46 in the South Carolina Senate, will be the guest speaker at the Tuesday, August 12 meeting of the Lady’s Island Business and Professional Association which will be held at 8 a.m. in the Beaufort Realtor’s Association Headquarters, located in the Palmetto Business Park on Lady’s Island Drive. The meeting is open to the public.
Davis was elected to the South Carolina Senate in 2008 and reelected in 2012. He is a graduate of Furman University and received his law degree from the University of Maryland School of Law and has practiced law in Beaufort since 1985 with the law firm of Harvey & Battey. Senator Davis presently serves on the Senate Committees for Banking and Insurance, Corrections and Penology, Finance, Labor, Commerce and Industry and Medical Affairs. He is married and has three daughters. He has been requested to include in his discussion with our members the following subjects:
– How long should South Carolina oppose the Affordable Care Act?
– What was the basis of the legislative opposition to implementation of Common Core Standards in our schools?
– Is the continued attempt to use the nullification theory for unpopular federal actions valid?
– Is Beaufort County doomed to live with Act 388 and be forced to beg for state school funding each fiscal year?
– What is the best method of funding the repair and maintenance of our state roads – increase taxes, authorize casinos or another approach?
– What are the major challenges to be faced in the 2015 legislative session?