• Thursday, September 29, freshman and sophomore assemblies for Archie Tally speech at Battery Creek High School.
• Thursday, September 29, is the Community Blood Drive at Beaufort Academy from noon- 4 p.m. Give blood and register for the chance to win a 2012 Honda Civic. Walk-ins and appointments welcome. Anyone 17 years and older can be a donor (16 years old with parent consent).
• Thursday, September 29, the Parents Association gift wrap fundraiser begins at Beaufort Academy; also, internship applications for juniors and seniors are due.
• Friday, September 30, First Trimester Progress Reports for Beaufort Academy middle school students are sent home. (Need to be signed by parents and returned to the school.)
• Saturday, October 1, Good luck to all SAT test-takers!
• Tuesday, October 4, Make-up day for school pictures for Beaufort Academy.
Port Royal celebrates a “Century of Learning”
On September 24, Port Royal Elementary School celebrated its 100th year anniversary. More than 200 student alumni, students, teachers, former administrators, Port Royal Town Council members, County Council members and community supporters attended the event to honor this historic school. Port Royal Elementary is believed to be the second oldest continuously operated school in South Carolina. Guests were encouraged to bring photos and artifacts to share the history with the community. A raised flag flew over the US Capitol and an autographed photo of the Blue Angels was presented to the school. Staff pitched in by conducting tours of the school, the Parent Teacher Organization served up birthday cake and lemonade, and kids joined in to sing “Happy Birthday” in celebration of Port Royal Elementary’s centennial birthday.
Beaufort Elementary Hotlanta Performance
Students kicked off their Monday morning, September 26, with a performance by Hotlanta Dixieland Jazz Quartet. The Friends of Fripp Island sponsored the performance as part of their music series. Students learned to appreciate and recognize Dixieland music and the key instruments that make up this unique sound.
Artsonia at Beaufort Elementary
Beaufort Elementary participates in Artsonia, the world’s largest kids’ art museum. There mission is that all children will have a special art gallery online, reflecting their masterpieces from pre-school through high-school, preserved for all time. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Mrs. Dollman, the visual art teacher at 843-322-2604 or email@example.com.
Battery Creek High’s “Scholar Athletes”
Many students participating in our athletic program are demonstrating the true concept of being a “scholar athlete.” A good number of football players, cross country runners and swim team members have visited several of our feeder schools to offer academic support and mentorship for students at Beaufort Elementary, Broad River Elementary, Joseph S. Shanklin Elementary and Robert Smalls Middle schools. Students participating in other sporting events will be joining this effort.
HSAP Exit Exam Prep
In preparation for the October administration of the HSAP Exit Exam, extra help sessions are being offered from 2:45 to 3:45 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays for applicable seniors and juniors attending Battery Creek High School.
School briefs are compiled by Tess Malijenovsky. To contact her and to have your school events published in The Island News, email firstname.lastname@example.org.