From staff reports
The Beaufort Twilight Run, presented by Habersham Properties, has announce this year’s race, scheduled for March 21, has been canceled, according to a Sunday release from organizers.
“Like many of you, we were holding out hope that the event would have a chance to go on as planned,” the release said. “However, with the escalation of the coronavirus since last week, and especially with confirmed cases in Beaufort County as of (Saturday), we have determined the only clear path forward is to cancel the 12th annual Beaufort Twilight Run scheduled for March 21. We are heartbroken not to host this year’s event, but the safety of our community, school and race participants is our top priority.”
According to the release, race registrants and sponsors were to receive an email with instructions and details regarding refunds, picking up event merchandise, etc., later on Sunday.
USC Beaufort transitioning to online
In response to Governor Henry McMaster’s State of Emergency declaration Sunday ordering the closure of all public education, USC Beaufort will transition from in-person instruction to online instruction March 23-April 5.
This comes after USCB extended Spring Break for one week, March 16-21, following extensive internal discussions and consults with state and local health officials/experts.
Residence Halls were to close Tuesday, March 17, at 5 p.m. and will remain closed through Sunday, April 5.
TCL closing, shifting to online classes
The Technical College of the Lowcountry is canceling in-person classes through March 31. For currently enrolled students: more information about course delivery will be forthcoming on Monday. TCL will provide additional information related to faculty, staff and employees as information becomes available later Sunday night.
Over the next few days, TCL will be transitioning to all online course delivery. As the situation evolves, the school will post any pertinent information related to college plans at www.tcl.edu/emergency.
Historic Beaufort Foundation closes Verdier House, halts Lafayette Soiree ticket sales
The Historic Beaufort Foundation announced Sunday in a release the temporarily closure of the John Mark Verdier House Museum to the public and the postponement the sale of tickets for the Lafayette Soiree.
“Along with cultural organizations across the country, we are closely watching the spread and impact of COVID-19,” the release said. “Employing guidance from our state and local health departments, as well as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), we have provided ongoing updates to our visitors and staff about the best ways to protect themselves and limit the spread of the virus.”
HBF will re-assess in two weeks. It will also make a decision this week regarding possible postponement of of the group’s annual meeting.