Public safety briefs for July 27th-August 2nd

in News by

Bee’s nest leads to fire

The Burton Fire District was dispatched to a report of a house fire on Pine Grove Road on the morning of July 16 in what turned out to be a shed fire that was endangering a nearby home. 

When firefighters arrived they found a medium-sized shed, less than 30 feet from a home, fully involved in flames. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire before heat, embers or flames caused any damages to the home. No injuries were reported. 

The shed was in the process of being razed. The homeowner told fire investigators that he encountered a bee’s nest and attempted to clear them by flicking cigarettes at the nest, which started the fire. 

Firefighters had to close a section of Pine Grove Road to extinguish the fire. 

Firefighters discover dangerous situation

Alert Burton firefighters detected a dangerous situation on July 22 and were able to advert a potential disaster.

Burton fire officials are now warning residents that not only are fires dangerous, but the smoke is as well. 

Just before 1:30 p.m., Burton firefighters were called to a Shell Point home for a non-fire related emergency. While assisting the resident, firefighters detected an odor of burning trash and plastic inside the home. Upon investigation they located an unattended pile of trash burning within 10 feet of the home. 

Firefighters extinguished the fire. 

Firefighters installed two smoke detectors for the family before leaving. 

Burton fire officials said that not only was this a dangerous situation involving an unattended fire so close to a home, but the material which was burning was also a hazard. Plastics and other forms of trash, when burning, create a toxic smoke that may contain carcinogens and other dangerous fumes that can cause significant health hazards. 

Burton fire officials advise residents to check their local burn ordinances before burning, and that burning anything other than yard debris is not only against the law, but also in violation of EPA regulations. 

Any resident of the Burton Fire District in need of smoke detectors can call the Burton Fire District main fire station at 843-255-8011 or email safetyed@burtonfd.org

Rollover causes traffic backups

Just past 3:30 p.m. on July 21, Burton firefighters were dispatched to a report of a motor vehicle accident on Laurel Bay and Eleanore Fine roads. 

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find a two-vehicle accident with one vehicle lying on its roof. All passengers were out of their vehicles when firefighters arrived.

Two occupants, one from each vehicle, were transported to Beaufort Memorial Hospital with what appeared to be non-life threatening injuries. 

Traffic on Laurel Bay Road was delayed for approximately 30 minutes while emergency crews assisted the occupants and removed roadway hazards. 

Arrest made for shots fired on HHI

The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office investigators say it has identified Davion Sanford, 24, of Hilton Head Island as the subject allegedly responsible for discharging a handgun in the area of Reilley’s Plaza at approximately 11:45 p.m. on July 5. 

On July 12, the facts of the investigation were presented to a Hilton Head Island Municipal Court judge and a Beaufort County magistrate and warrants were issued for Sanford’s arrest for discharge of firearms within town limits, unlawful carrying of a pistol and possession of a firearm on premises where alcohol is sold. 

Investigators located Sanford at his place of employment on Marshland Road and arrested him on the three warrants. He was transported to the Beaufort County Detention Center.

Investigators are looking into a possible connection between Sanford and Christopher Mullen, who was arrested for a shots-fired incident outside of Street Meat off of Mathews Drive on Hilton Head that also occurred on the night of July 5. 

In addition, Sanford is considered the person of interest in a shots-fired incident at Coligny Plaza reported to have occurred approximately 45 minutes after the Reilley’s Plaza incident and that is still under investigation. 

Anyone with information should call Cpl. Ryan Chin at 843-255-3209 or CrimeStoppers 1-888-CrimeSC to remain anonymous and for possible reward. 

Dryer raises concerns; officials urge caution

Just before 6:30 p.m. on July 20, Burton firefighters responded to a possible house fire on County Shed Road. 

Firefighters arrived to find a home filled with smoke. The homeowners stated that there had been a fire in their dryer but they were able to extinguish it. 

Firefighters utilized thermal imaging to confirm the fire was out and hadn’t spread to the walls, and also assisted in removing smoke from the home. The homeowner was able to extinguish the fire by throwing water on the smoldering material inside the dryer.

Burton fire officials caution residents on opening any door where smoke is emanating from behind as the introduction of fresh air could cause a flash fire and the flames to grow. Officials also warn of drying materials washed with commercial chemicals or stained with combustible fluid, such as gasoline, in dryers as the dryer’s heat can cause those chemicals to reach their ignition temperature, causing a fire. 

Burton firefighters urge residents in this type of situation to keep the dryer door closed and shut power off to the unit. Firefighters also encourage residents to keep a fire extinguisher mounted by laundry rooms, and to always call 911 to ensure any heat or fire didn’t spread into the walls.