Man sentenced to 25 years for molestation
Just before jury selection for his trial was to begin on Monday, March 18, a 40-year-old Beaufort man pleaded guilty to molesting a young girl and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Jimmy Selsey pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor for a string of incidents that occurred in October 2011 when he fondled and had intercourse with a 10-year-old girl he was caring for at a home on Lafayette Street in Beaufort.
The victim told a family member that she had been abused by Selsey on several occasions. The family called the police and took the girl to the hospital for an evaluation. She also disclosed the abuse during a forensic interview with Hope Haven.
“The community is a safer place now that Jimmy Selsey can’t do this to another child,” said assistant solicitor Mary Jordan Lempesis, who prosecuted the case. “He looked for someone he had easy access to and molested a child he was supposed to be caring for while her mother was at work. I am proud of this little girl for having the strength to report the abuse to her family and for being willing to testify in the trial if it had moved forward.”
Sheriff’s Office investigating robbery
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an armed robbery in Burton.
At approximately, 12:15 a.m. on March 19, deputies responded to Bon Aire Estates in reference to a 68-year-old man reporting an armed robbery.
Upon arrival, deputies found the victim bleeding profusely from his head and EMS responded and transported the victim to Beaufort Memorial Hospital for medical treatment.
After interviewing the victim, deputies learned the victim’s roommate came into his bedroom and asked to borrow the victim’s vehicle. The victim states he told his roommate he could not use his vehicle and the roommate became angry, struck him in the head with an iron object and grabbed money from off the nightstand before he fled on foot from the residence.
Anyone with any information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC.
Sheriff’s Office: Advice on plastic bottle bombs
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a rash of “plastic bottle bombs” that have been reported at Beaufort homes over the last week.
Five such incidents have been confirmed at homes on Ratel Dr, Roosevelt Blvd, Satilla Dr, and Cherry Blvd. In each incident, complainants reported hearing a loud explosion, initially thought to be a gunshot, outside their homes. Upon further inspection, the complainants found plastic bottles filled with a grayish-color liquid laying in their yards, either fully exploded or expanded intact.
The Sheriff’s Office wishes to remind citizens of the potential danger these devices possess. Bottle bombs are homemade explosives made with chemicals often found in your home, garage and pool.
These explosive devices appear to be mere discarded plastic bottles, an item that many would consider just picking up. However, the chemical reaction occurring inside these bottles causes a buildup of extremely volatile gases which will detonate with only the slightest of movement. The amount of force that is generated when a device of this nature detonates is powerful enough to severe fingers and limbs, cause 2nd, 3rd-degree chemical burns, respiratory injury, blindness and hearing loss, and even death.
These devices should not be moved or handled by anyone other than professionals. If a device of this nature is located, immediately isolate the area, keep back a minimum of 200 feet, and notify law enforcement.
To report crime, citizens can call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC (274-6372) or text the word TIPSC with a message to CRIMES (274637).
Attempted murder being investigated
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an attempted murder in Burton.
At approximately, 11 p.m. on Monday, March 18, deputies responded to Taylor’s Mobile Home Park (482 Parris Island Gateway) in reference to a call of a gunshot victim.
Upon arrival, deputies found the residence open and only three juvenile children sleeping within the residence but no gunshot victim was found.
Contact was made with the children’s mother, who fled for her safety from the scene after shots were fired. The victim states her ex-boyfriend has been calling her throughout the day asking what she was doing, who she was with and that he was going to stop by the residence. The victim states she stopped answering his phone calls.
The victim states she, her mother, a cousin, another male friend and the children were inside the residence when her ex-boyfriend entered. She states the suspect stole a key and entered her residence without consent. The victim states when she saw him in the residence her mother, her cousin, her male friend and she ran from the residence leaving the children behind.
The victim states as she was running down the street, she heard three gunshots. She states she ran to her mother’s residence and called 911.
Deputies located the victim’s male friend’s vehicle and determined the suspect had shot the vehicle several times.
Sheriff’s Office investigating shooting
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a shooting incident that injured a Burton man.
At approximately 7:15 p.m. March 17, Sheriff’s deputies responded to the area of Milledge Village Road in reference to an anonymous report of shots fired. As deputies were searching the area, they received a report that a gunshot victim had arrived at the Beaufort Memorial emergency room. There, investigators made contact with a 35-year old male being treated for a gunshot wound to the arm.
Investigators have identified a person of interest, however, no arrests have been made as of yet. Anyone with information is asked to contact either Investigator Cpl. A. Rice at 843-255-3429 or Crimestoppers.