Police blotter for April 27th-May 3rd

Photo above: An accident on April 15 on the Richard V. Woods Memorial Bridge caused lane closures for repairs on April 19-20. Here, part of the concrete barrier hangs from the Richard V. Woods Memorial bridge after a pickup truck hit a guard rail, injuring both the driver and a passenger in the truck. Photo by Bob Sofaly.

2 charged in Subway robbery

Elijah Fludd
Elijah Fludd
Jhylil Jones
Jhylil Jones

A former employee of a Subway on Lady’s Island and an accomplice have been arrested after an investigation into an armed robbery that occurred on the morning of April 14 at the restaurant, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office report.

According to that report, Elijah Fludd, 22, who had worked at the Subway on Sams Point Road, and Jhylil Jones, 18, have been arrested in connection with the robbery.

Search warrants were obtained for Fludd’s Lady’s Island residence, and the Toyota Rav4 he allegedly used to get to and from Subway on the morning of the armed robbery. 

When investigators and patrol deputies served the search warrants at his Venice Court residence, they found Fludd and his Toyota Rav4. Also present was Jones, 18, who investigators suspected stood lookout for Fludd at the back door of Subway. 

Inside Fludd’s residence, investigators say they found the hooded sweatshirt and bandana he wore and the handgun he pointed at the clerk during the robbery. 

During the search of Fludd’s Toyota Rav4, investigators say they located a suitcase belonging to Jhylil Jones. Inside the suitcase they found a small amount of marijuana and a handgun with an obliterated serial number, according to the report.

Jones was taken into custody and charged with simple possession of marijuana and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number. During an interview with the suspects, Jones said he was involved in the robbery with Fludd, according to the report. 

Jones was then charged with robbery while armed with a deadly weapon in addition to the marijuana and firearm charges. 

Fludd and Jones were transported to the Beaufort County Detention Center. 

Fludd’s bonds were set at $40,000 for robbery while armed with a deadly weapon and $20,000 for possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. 

Bonds for Jones were set at $40,000 for robbery while armed with a deadly weapon, $10,000 for possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number and $615 for simple possession of marijuana. 

Fludd posted bond and was released from the jail, while Jones remained incarcerated. 

Anyone with information regarding the Lady’s Island Subway armed robbery is encouraged to contact Staff Sgt. Adam Zsamar at 843-255-3408 or CrimeStoppers at 888-CrimeSC to remain anonymous and for a possible reward.

Sheriff’s office is searching for suspect

Michael Brown
Michael Brown

The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is attempting to locate Michael Brown regarding a shooting incident that occurred on Round About Loop on April 17.

Anyone with any information about Brown can call Investigator Draisen at 843-255-3409, Beaufort County Dispatch at 843-524-2777 or CrimeStoppers at 888-CrimeSC to remain anonymous and for a possible reward.

Burton FD answers 19 calls in one weekend

A fire that began in a waste container up against a home spread to the side of the residence in Shadow Moss.
A fire that began in a waste container up against a home spread to the side of the residence in Shadow Moss.

The Burton Fire District didn’t get a break over the weekend of April 22 after responding to 19 emergency calls which included two motor vehicle accidents, a vehicle fire, two brush fires, a house fire and a hazardous materials concern. 

Burton and MCAS Fire Department responded to a house fire in the Shadow Moss development just after 11 a.m. on April 22. A fire which began in a waste container up against a home spread to the side of the residence. 

The homeowner and a neighbor were able to extinguish the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived. Burton firefighters checked the residence with thermal imaging to ensure the fire was out and the home was safe. A battalion chief from the city of Beaufort Fire Department also responded. 

The first motor vehicle accident occurred just before 4 p.m. April 22 at the Parris Island Gateway and Magnolia Bluff intersection. The two-vehicle accident resulted in damages but no injuries and delayed traffic for approximately 30 minutes. 

The second motor vehicle accident occurred just before 11 a.m. April 23 on Robert Smalls Parkway at the entrance to Walmart. The two-vehicle accident resulted in damages but no injuries. Traffic was delayed for approximately 30 minutes. 

Just before 4 p.m. April 23, Burton firefighters were summoned to a residence in Seabrook when a homeowner had a hazardous materials concern involving a fuel container. Burton firefighters assisted the homeowner and ensured the container and fuel was safe. 

Burton firefighters also extinguished two brush fires and a vehicle fire in the Gray’s Hill area of Burton on April 23. All fires were minor and caused no damages to structures and only minor damages to an SUV.  

The Burton Fire District has responded to almost 1,100 emergency calls so far in 2017. 

Firefighters respond to small shed fire 

Firefighters with City of Beaufort/Town of Port Royal Fire department responded to a report of a fire in the dockage of the Port Royal Landing Marina at about 11:30 p.m. April 17. 

The fire was apparently reported by multiple passersby.   

“Firefighters were right across the street at an activated fire alarm at the River Oaks Assisted Living Facility, and were able to clear and arrive on scene within moments of receiving the call for the fire at the marina,” according to Fire Chief Reece Bertholf. 

Firefighters arrived to find a small shed, situated on a small “dock floater” which was tethered to a construction barge, on fire.  

The docks are under renovation as a result of Hurricane Matthew.  Access was limited to the floater where the fire was due to the renovation construction, and the dock master assisted in transporting fire crews to the barge near the fire with the marina boat.   

Crews utilized a standby fire pump that is kept on site and trained on periodically throughout the year, in order to extinguish the flames.  

“All in all, even with limited access, the crews were able to control the fire in under 20 minutes. Everyone did a great job,” said incident commander Battalion Chief Warren “Chip” Cooler.

Previous Story

Politics and investing

Next Story

Group celebrates compassion through fashion

Latest from News

Lowcountry Lowdown

By Lolita HuckabyThe Island News Nothing to do in Beaufort? We beg to differ BEAUFORT –