Paul Sommerville to speak to LIBPA
Paul Sommerville, who is the chairman of the Beaufort County Council and District 2 representative, will be the guest speaker at the Tuesday, Sept. 9 meeting of the Lady’s Island Business and Professional Association which will be held at 8 a.m. in the Beaufort Realtors Association Headquarters located in the Palmetto Business Park on Lady’s Island Drive. The meeting is open to the public.
Sommerville was elected to represent District 7 as a member of County Council in 2006, re-elected in 2010 and is seeking re-election in the upcoming November General Election.
He is a Beaufort native, a U. S. Army veteran and a management consultant with extensive experience in labor relations. During his first term of office he served as the council vice chairman and in 2012 was elected as chairman of County Council, a position in which he presently serves.
He has been asked to discuss the following subjects:
• At what point should County Council consider raising taxes to be able to continue providing a minimum level of services?
• Is Beaufort County prepared for the next round of population growth?
• Has the Rural and Critical Land Program served its purpose or should it be continued?
• Is the use of county business license fees for the support of economic development appropriate?
• Status of efforts to acquire a county landfill.
• Thoughts as to the next 1% sales tax referendum.
Recycle electronics at upcoming events
Electronics recycling events have been scheduled by the Beaufort County Public Works Department Solid Waste and Recycling Division. All events will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Beaufort County Public Works North, 120 Shanklin Road, Beaufort, 29906.
• Saturday, September 13
• Saturday, December 6
Any personal computers, laptops, CRT monitors, LCD monitors, CRT televisions, non-CRT televisions, printers, hard drives and miscellaneous electronics (microwaves, lamps, cell phones, radios, fax machines, typewriters, etc.) will be accepted.
If you have questions concerning the electronics events, please call the Solid Waste and Recycling Division for more information at 843-255-2734 or visit www.bcgov.net/recycle.