Beaufort street paving rescheduled again
Under a revised paving schedule from the contractor, work on several Beaufort streets will resume in October. According to the S.C. Department of Transportation, the contractor decided to pull out of the Beaufort area until the first week in October.
When they return, the crews will begin work on Charles and North streets. Bay and Lafayette paving has been completed and the only remaining work on those streets is final dress up and permanent pavement markings, according to Christopher Smith, the Beaufort-Jasper construction manager for SCDOT.
“We are sharing the information provided to us by the State Department of Transportation,” said Scott Dadson, Beaufort City Manager. “We only learned of this schedule change this morning from them. The good news is that downtown’s Bay Street was paved with a very quick turnaround, so maybe that’s the silver lining to all these schedule changes.”
Two Burton men plead guilty to molestation
A 27-year-old Burton man was sentenced to 25 years in prison for molesting a girl on multiple occasions over a four-year period.
On Monday, August 26, 2013, El Pidio Calihua-Macuixtle, of Shanklin Road, pleaded guilty to first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor and second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor.
In late 2012, a 12-year-old girl disclosed that she had been molested by Calihua-Macuixtle beginning when she was eight. She underwent a forensic interview at Hope Haven. Investigators from the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office retrieved DNA evidence and the defendant confessed to the abuse.
“We were prepared to begin the trial this week when Mr. Calihua-Macuixtle decided to plead guilty and take responsibility for the terrible things he had done,” said assistant solicitor Mary Jordan Lempesis, who prosecuted the case. “With this outcome, the victim was spared from having to recount the years of abuse in the courtroom.”
Judge Perry M. Buckner handed down the sentence. By law, Calihua-Macuixtle must serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before being eligible for parole or any other early release mechanism. He has been incarcerated since his arrest on November 4, 2012.
Also on Monday, Edi Rolando Suazo, 32, of Burton, pleaded guilty to third-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor and was sentenced by Buckner to 10 years in prison. His case was also scheduled for trial this week.
Mr. Suazo has been incarcerated since his arrest on November 30, 2012.