The Junior Service League of Beaufort, an organization of women committed to volunteerism, will host its annual winter blood drive from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 15 at The Blood Alliance.
Anyone can participate in the drive, including first-time donors. Each pint donated can save three lives. The league has set 45 units as its goal this year, which will help 135 people. The Blood Alliance must collect 36 units of blood every day to meet the needs of patients at the hospitals and other medical facilities it supplies.
As part of the blood drive, the league will also collect donations of paper goods for Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse and the Child Abuse Prevention Association, two nonprofits league members volunteer with throughout the year. Both organizations need paper towels, paper plates, toilet paper, tissues and feminine hygiene products.
“The league is excited to offer this opportunity to give back to our community during the holiday season,” blood drive project chair Amy Lane said. “Because The Blood Alliance is Beaufort Memorial Hospital’s sole supplier of blood, donors are helping their neighbors, friends and family members when they give.”
To donate through the league’s drive, participants must mention the league when donating on Dec. 15. Appointments can be made to contribute to the drive by calling 888-99-TBA-HERO (888-998-2243) or visiting www.igiveblood.com. A government-issued photo I.D. is required to donate. The Blood Alliance is located at 1001A Boundary St., Beaufort.
League members have worked together to help women, children and families in Beaufort and the surrounding communities since the league was founded in 2005. The league has donated more than $100,000 to area nonprofits since its founding and has also provided local young women with prom dresses through the league’s signature service project, The Prom Boutique.
For more information, visit www.juniorserviceleagueofbeaufort.org, email email@example.com or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JSLBFT.
The Blood Alliance December Drives
• Thursday, December 4: Whale Branch Early College High School, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., 169 Detour Road, Seabrook
• Friday, December 5: Beaufort County, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Administrative Building parking lot, 100 Ribaut Road Beaufort.
• Wednesday, December 10: Battery Creek High School, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., 1 Blue Dolphin Dr., Beaufort
• Friday, December 19: Beaufort Memorial Hospital, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Beaufort Medical & Administrative Center (BMAC) 990 Ribaut Road, Beaufort.
• Monday, December 22: Beaufort Memorial Hospital, 2 to 8 p.m., Birthing Center entrance parking lot, 955 Ribaut Road, Beaufort.
• Monday, December 29: Beaufort Memorial Hospital
10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Lowcountry Medical Group, 300 Midtown Drive, Beaufort.