fbpx
A fire in a mattress started by a 3 year old playing with a lighter was discovered and removed from a home in Grays Hill today before serious damage or injuries could result. Firefighters warn about the dangers of the approaching holiday.

Holiday tragedy averted by firefighters

An almost certain tragedy was averted in Grays Hill late Saturday morning, Dec. 6, as a smoldering fire in a family home was discovered and extinguished before injures or worse could happen.

Burton firefighters received a call for a possible house fire just before 11 a.m. on Conestoga Loop in Grays Hill. Firefighters arrived on scene to discover a smoldering mattress in the yard of a mobile home.

The mattress fire was started by a 3 year old child playing with a lighter. The child’s older siblings discovered the small fire and dragged the mattress outside where firefighters completed the extinguishment. The home did not have any working smoke detectors.

Damages were minor and no injuries were reported.

Burton fire officials state a definite tragedy was in the making as an all too common chain of events were taking place — a child with access to a lighter, a home with children, and no working smoke detectors. Burton firefighters provided the family with two smoke detectors before leaving the scene.

Burton Firefighter Alex Murray warns residents about the dangers of the approaching holiday.

“Homes have extra guests, things get hectic, people get easily distracted, and that’s when something gets missed or overlooked and a tragedy occurs,” stated Murray. “Take this time to check your smoke detectors, put matches and lighters out of reach of children, and mount an ABC fire extinguisher in a location in your home where all family can easily reach it.”

A fire in a mattress started by a 3 year old playing with a lighter was discovered and removed from a home in Grays Hill today before serious damage or injuries could result. Firefighters warn about the dangers of the approaching holiday.
A fire in a mattress started by a 3 year old playing with a lighter was discovered and removed from a home in Grays Hill today before serious damage or injuries could result. Firefighters warn about the dangers of the approaching holiday.
Previous Story

Burton Fire Department awards firefighter and officer of the year

Next Story

Deck the Halls with boughs of holly

Latest from Community

Touch a Truck

Beaufort Firefighter Darby Jardeleza, lets Ike talk with another firefighter on the radio while his little

Swimming swag

Members of Kappa Upsilon Sigma Alumnae Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., gathered recently at

Habitat House

All “four” walls are up at the Habitat for Humanity house at 3004 Walnut Street in

Keeping the faith

About 200 faithful fans didn’t let a little rain stop them from enjoying the third in