In 1975, a local group of avid golfers got together and decided to hold a golf tournament that would not only be a great social event but also would raise money for the American Heart Association. The tournament was called The Heart Fund.
Thirty-nine years later, that same golf tournament has not only remained an annual event but it has also raised over $600,000 for local charities. The name was changed to The Beaufort Charities Invitational but the goal remained the same: Get a large group of friends together at Fripp Island for a long weekend to play golf, socialize and raise money for those less fortunate.
Here is a list of some of the local charities that have received donations:
• Alzheimer’s Support Group
• Senior Services of Beaufort
• Beaufort Marine Institute
• Big Brothers/Big Sisters
• United Community Child Development
• Child Abuse Prevention (CAPA)
• Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse (CODA)
• Friends of Carolina Hospice
• Literacy Volunteers of the Lowcountry
• Habitat for Humanity
• Northern Beaufort County Public Education
• Lowcountry Rotary
• University of South Carolina Beaufort
• YMCA Building Fund
• Reynolds Robinson Scholarship
• United Way of Beaufort
• Technical College of the Lowcountry
• Boys & Girls Clubs
The 40th annual Beaufort Charities Invitational will be held on Fripp Island from May 15-17. There are sponsorship opportunities available. If interested, call committee chairman Christian Sherbert at 843-575-5667 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit the website at www.beaufortcharities.org.