Gas-fed fire temporarily closes street

1 min read

From staff reports

The Burton Fire District responded to a gas-fueled fire Wednesday, Nov. 25 that closed a portion of Broad River Drive, but resulted in no damages or injuries.

Just past 11 a.m., the Burton Fire District was dispatched to a reported brush fire in the 600 block of Broad River Drive. Firefighters arrived on scene and located a small brush fire in a drainage ditch spreading toward a telephone pole.

Firefighters began to extinguish the fire when they realized a natural gas line had broken, feeding the flames. Firefighters notified Dominion Energy who responded to the scene with a tractor to dig up the gas line and shut it off.

Fire officials said as long as the gas was burning it was being immediately burned off, and if they extinguished the flames it would have allowed the gas to flow freely and unseen throughout the nearby homes, increasing the danger.

Once the gas was shut off, firefighters extinguished the remaining flames.

No homes were evacuated. However, a few families chose to leave the area.

Broad River Drive was closed in the 600 block area for more than two hours while firefighters and Dominion Energy controlled the leak and extinguished the fire.

According to the Burton Fire District, the fire was caused by an illegal burn that got out of control. It is not known if the fire caused the leak.

Latest from Blog

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Woman’s love of Beaufort redeemed I love Beaufort, because of the people. My daughter and I…