fbpx

Fire department checks gas leak at TCL

Beaufort firefighters cleaned up a battery leak that sent two Technical College of the Lowcountry employees to the emergency room for observation last Monday morning.

One or more batteries in the welding shop at TCL apparently released potentially dangerous hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide in a closet containing a bank of batteries used for the wind turbine, according to Beaufort Fire Chief Sammy Negron.

TCL gas release 10-13-14“Dispatch received a call at 7:01 a.m. of an odor coming from a building at TCL that could be a possible gas leak. Their security could smell the gases from outside the building,” Negron said.

Squad 1 from the Beaufort Fire Department responded within minutes and, after meeting with TCL security and maintenance workers, found no evidence of explosive gases. “However, our air monitoring equipment did detect hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide in a closet of the welding shop,” Negron said. “Our firefighters isolated the batteries and removed them. We ventilated the affected building until all readings were back to normal. Once the ventilation was complete and the hazard removed, the building was released to be re-occupied.”

Negron said ER doctors kept the two TCL employees under observation for a few hours but they were released.

He applauded the quick reaction of TCL employees in alerting the fire department of the possible gas leak. “Early detection and calling the fire department helped keep this a minor incident,” Negron said. “These are potentially dangerous gases in high levels. We encourage people to always err on the side of caution and call us if they think there’s a gas leak or other potential danger.”

Previous Story

Parish Church of St. Helena has Fall Bazaar

Next Story

Salt Gallery to feature photography of author Janet Garrity

Latest from Community

OBITUARY

George Oliver Davis Jr.  George Oliver Davis Jr., 73, died on June 18, 2022 with his

Touch a Truck

Beaufort Firefighter Darby Jardeleza, lets Ike talk with another firefighter on the radio while his little

Swimming swag

Members of Kappa Upsilon Sigma Alumnae Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., gathered recently at

Habitat House

All “four” walls are up at the Habitat for Humanity house at 3004 Walnut Street in