City of Beaufort adds hurricane readiness page to website

2 mins read

From staff reports

The City of Beaufort has added a new Hurricane Readiness page (http://www.cityofbeaufort.org/602/Hurricane-Readiness) on its website, which includes information and tips from local, state, and national resources.

The page includes the 2021 Hurricane Guide from the State of South Carolina, as well as a link to South Carolina’s new dedicated hurricane information website (https://hurricane.sc/). It includes an FAQ with local, state and regional information, as well as links to Ready.gov, a federal website that provides advice on how to prepare for and recover from major disasters.

The Atlantic Hurricane Season runs through Nov. 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center has predicted another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season for 2021.

Forecasters predict a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. Fortunately, experts do not expect the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.

In the event of a tropical storm or hurricane watch or warning, the City of Beaufort will ensure that up-to-date information is shared on the City’s Facebook and Nextdoor pages, as well as on Twitter. Residents are also encouraged to sign up for Nixle (https://www.nixle.com/), an application that sends email or text messages from local public safety agencies, and is especially helpful during potential disasters.

In addition to the hurricane page, the City recently added a Flood Awareness page (http://www.cityofbeaufort.org/286/Flood-Awareness) to its website. This offers information on flood insurance maps, the National Flood Insurance Program, and tips on how to protect you, your family, and your home.

Latest from Blog

LOWCOUNTRY LOWDOWN

 Affordable housing still a dream for many  When it comes to giving thanks, many place safe…

LOWCOUNTRY LIFE

Mark Pritchard took this photo of three dolphins swimming in tight formation in Jenkins Creek from…