Chamber announces 2016 award nominees
The Greater Bluffton Chamber of Commerce recently announced the finalists for the 2016 Bluffton Business Awards.
The winners will be announced at the 2nd Annual Bluffton Ball presented by Covert Aire & Farm Bureau Insurance on Saturday, Jan. 28, at Pinckney Hall in Sun City.
Since October, more than 250 nominations were submitted for the 12 award categories. Some of the categories had over 70 nominations.
The awards ball is a signature event initiated by the Greater Bluffton Chamber’s Board of Directors. The inaugural ball in February was sold out.
Bluffton Ball tickets are limited and can be purchased at the chamber headquarters on Goethe Road, by calling 843-757-1010 or visiting bba2017.eventbrite.com.
Sponsorship opportunities are still available; email email@example.com for details.
The 2016 finalists are:
• Artist of the Year: Amiri Farris, Amiri Farris Studio, Doug Corkern, Four Corners Gallery and Kelly Graham, Vigorous LLC.
• Business of the Year: Covert Aire, Taylor’s Quality Landscape Supply & Nursery and Volvo Hilton Head.
• Small Business of the Year: Advanced Integrated Controls, Aunt Laurie’s, Barbers of the Lowcountry and Big D’s Royal Tees.
• Business Startup of the Year: Bluffton Bike Taxi, Maluka, Shore Winds Landscaping and Tails of the Lowcountry.
• Good Heart Award: Bridgette Frazier, Gerrick Taylor, of Taylor’s Quality Landscape Supply & Nursery, and Heather Nicole Price, of Bluffton Hilton Head Ask
• Nonprofit of the Year: Actions for Autism, Don Ryan Center for Innovation, Hospice Care of the Lowcountry and Programs for Exceptional People.
• Outstanding Person of the Year: Al Stokes, Waddell Mariculture Center; Heather Nicole Price, Bluffton Hilton Head Ask & Answer; Mayor Lisa Sulka; and Mike Covert, Covert Aire.
• Professional Educator & Development Person of the Year: Erin Reichert of Bluffton High School and Tony Mills of Lowcountry Center, Spring Island.
• Regional Impact Award: Bluffton Farmers Market, Palmetto Bluff, Technical College of the Lowcountry and the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
• Rookie of the Year: Aimee Deverall of Deverall Immigration Law LLC and Emily Cohn of Moonlit Lullaby.
• Memorial Award: George Scott.
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Babbie Guscio.
Candidates for chamber board are announced
The Nominating Committee of the Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce has met to designate a slate of candidates to run for election to the board of directors.
Terms will run from Jan. 1-Dec. 31.
The individuals selected by the Nominating Committee are Roni Allbritton, Shelter Cove Towne Centre; Greg Kelly, Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport; Patricia Owen, Faces Day Spa & Boutique; Justin Rice, First Citizens Bank; Susanna Cook, Park Lane Inn & Suites; Andrew Schumacher, Palmetto Dunes POA; and Terry Tadlock, Coastal Plains Insurance.
Additional names of candidates for directors may be nominated by petition bearing the genuine signatures of at least 10 percent of the voting membership as of Sept. 1 of the current year.
The deadline for additional nominations by petition is 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 19.
Documents can be mailed to Nominating Committee, P.O. Box 5647, Hilton Head Island, SC 29938 or they can be dropped off at the Chamber of Commerce headquarters on Hilton Head.
Chamber to help healthcare consumers
Navigators will be available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, to enroll consumers in the Affordable Healthcare at the Beaufort County Black Chamber of Commerce at 801 Bladen St. in Beaufort.
Thursday is the last day to enroll for coverage starting Jan. 1, 2017. Call 843-986-1102 for details.
Networking event to be held Dec. 16
Coffee with Colleagues, presented by the Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce, will be held from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 16, at Omni Beaufort at 2127 Boundary St.
There will be coffee and pastries and attendees are encouraged to bring their business cards.
Chamber holding holiday event
The Beaufort County Black Chamber of Commerce invites the public to attend a Holiday Drop-In at the chamber office at 801 Bladen St. The event will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. There will be refreshments and holiday cheer.
Call 843-986-1102 for additional information.
Chamber gearing up for annual ball
Save the date of Jan. 28, 2017, for Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce’s popular Annual Chamber Ball.
This popular event features awards in a variety of categories, and nominations are open through Friday, Dec. 16.
• Do you know a person who embodies “selfless community service in the spirit of brotherhood?” Nominate them for the Alice Glenn Doughtie Good Citizenship Award.
• Do you know a civic, business, service or fraternal group that demonstrates significant contributions to the well-being of the community? Nominate them for an Outstanding Organization of the Year award.
• Do you know an outstanding small businesses whose ingenuity, hard work and innovation has been a success and contributed to the spirit of entrepreneurship in the Lowcountry? Nominate them for a Small Business of the Year or Successful Start-Up of the Year award.
The winners will be announced at the 2017 Chamber Ball.
For more information, visit www.hiltonheadchamber.org.