Burton Fire responds to 2 house fires in 2 days

in News by

From staff reports

As South Carolina enters into its deadliest months, the Burton Fire District responded to two fires in two days last week, resulting in one resident receiving minor burns.

Just past 1 p.m., Monday, Nov. 16, Burton and MCAS Fire Departments, along with Beaufort County EMS, responded to a reported house fire on Shanklin Rd. The 911 caller stated her stove was on fire and they were evacuating the home.

Firefighters arrived on scene and found smoke in the home. The homeowner had removed the burning pan from the stove and placed it in the sink, causing the fire to spread to the widow curtains and cabinets.

The fire was extinguished with a garden hose prior to firefighters arriving on scene. A resident suffered minor burns in the fire as she moved the burning pan to the sink.

The home had no working smoke alarms. Fire crews installed three smoke alarms and assisted in removing smoke from the home.

The second fire was reported just past 11:30 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 17, on Colonial Ave. The 911 caller stated his garage, which is detached from the home, was on fire.

Firefighters from Burton and MCAS Fire Department, along with Beaufort County EMS, responded to the scene of the two-vehicle garage. The resident was able to confine the fire using a home fire extinguisher and was uninjured.

Firefighters completed the fire extinguishment. Two motorcycles sustained minor damages, but the home was saved. The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical.

This detached garage at a home on Colonial Ave., caught fire on the morning of Tuesday, Nov. 17. Submitted photo.