Thanks, in part, to a closed door, a Saturday fire inflicted limited damages to this home in Burton. Photo courtesy of Burton Fire District.

Bedroom door, firefighters confine fire

From staff reports

The Burton Fire District, MCAS Fire Department, Beaufort County EMS and Sherrif’s Office, responded Saturday, Feb. 26, to an early afternoon house fire, in which firefighters, assisted by a closed door, limited damages to the home.

Just after 1 p.m., emergency crews responded to a reported house fire on Wildcat Lane in Burton. Firefighters arrived on scene and reported smoke and flames coming from the window of a double-wide mobile home. All the residents had escaped.

Firefighters entered the home and found flames behind a closed bedroom door and quickly extinguished the fire, which was confined to the bedroom, as well as damages.

No injuries were reported. While the bedroom sustained extensive damages, the residents elected to remain in their home. The fire remains under investigation but is believed to be unintentional.

Burton Fire Lieutenant Ethan Webb, who was first to arrive on scene, credited the closed door for limiting the damages.

“The resident saw the fire in the bedroom, quickly closed the door, and evacuated the family,” Webb said in a release. “The closed door confined the smoke and fire to the bedroom, leaving the rest of the home untouched.”

Burton fire officials encourage residents to close all doors in the home at night before bed, and also before they leave the home.

Previous Story


Next Story


Latest from News

The end around

Developer buys Pine Island, plans for 3 separate 6-hole golf courses, gated community By Tony Kukulich

Lowcountry Lowdown

By Lolita Huckaby Tropeano introduces himself to County Council BEAUFORT Elvio Tropeano, formerly of Boston and