Following a lengthy review of recommendations by the City of Beaufort Parking Task Force, the Beaufort City Council changed some parking meter rates and times in downtown locations to take effect this past Monday.
“These changes will take effect January 4 as we roll into the New Year. We believe these changes reflect the strongest recommendations from the Parking Task Force as well as what’s best for our downtown merchants and the vitality of our downtown commercial district,” Beaufort City Manager Bill Prokop said.
• Enforcement of all parking meters in downtown Beaufort change to
11 a.m. to 7 p.m. to encourage locals to shop downtown in the morning
• Rates for parking meters on Port Republic Street increase from 75 cents per hour to $1 per hour
• Rates for parking meters on side streets north of Port Republic Street decrease from 75 cents per hour to 50 cents per hour
• Time limits for metered parking spaces on Bay Street and side streets from Bay to Port Republic Street change to two hours; some spaces had been marked for three and four hours. The shorter time limit will allow more turnover of the parking spaces to benefit merchants
• Increases the “boot fee” to $100 for people with multiple unpaid parking tickets
• Increases the fine for illegally parking in a handicapped space to $500 to conform to state law.