Photo above: Best in Show went to Robert Steinmetz.
The new Tabby Place on Port Republic Street was the exciting venue for Beaufort Art Association’s 55th annual Spring Show. On exhibit for the judging from Feb 26-29th, the show boasted 200 pieces of exceptional works of local art. High School art from local schools were also prominently exhibited. Chairperson Tom Van Steenbergh noted that the public reacted very favorably to the venue and the art for this show. Although brief in the number of days it was open, most patrons felt that this year’s show was one of the highest quality exhibits that the association has ever had.
Judging the exhibit was Linda Daly Baker, award winning watercolor artist and teacher from Charleston. Linda took ample time to study each piece of art, whether it was a watercolor, oil, acrylic, photograph or a three-dimensional work like fine wood turning. Pottery, Raku and jewelry which were also well represented.
Winners of this year’s show were:
• Best in Show: Robert Steinmetz “Dockside Dynamics”
• First Place/Bill Cochrane Memorial Award: Cynthia Zeiss “Pure Fantasy”
• Second Place/Barbara Kawczynski Memorial Award: Frank Anson, Ying and Yang 2
• Third Place/Dennis Fuller Memorial Award: Mary Ann Berger “Ancestors”
• BAA Founders Award: Ed Funk: Pepsi Time
• Mixed Media Award: Linda Sheppard “Findings”
• Hampton Memorial Award: Margery Boyle “Come Fly Away with Me”
• Hampton Memorial (Hon Mention) Sandy Dimke “Endurance”
• Julian Levin Memorial Award: Audrey Montgomery “Seedless”
• E Carew Rice III Memorial Award: Susan McCarthy “Amos”
• Leith Paul Trask Memorial Award: Ellen Long “Pause that Refreshes”
• Joy Keyserling Memorial Award: Patricia Walsh “Dos Barcos de Camaron”
All award winners will be on exhibit through April at Beaufort Art Association Gallery, 913 Bay Street, in downtown Beaufort. Stop by and see the wining artwork. Find out more about the Beaufort Art Association Gallery by visiting their website at