Fifty-two Beaufort County School District student athletes from this year’s graduating class have accepted scholarship offers from a total of 34 colleges and universities around the nation.
Those scholarships were offered by schools as near as the University of South Carolina-Beaufort and as distant as the Air Force Academy in Colorado.
“It’s wonderful to see the hard work and dedication of our student athletes rewarded with scholarships that will help them work toward brighter futures, and also help their parents cope with the considerable expense of a college education,” said Acting Superintendent Jackie Rosswurm.
Chief Student Services Officer Gregory McCord, who oversees the district’s athletics programs, said the district’s goal is to produce well-rounded “scholar athletes.”
“Each year we hope to see the number of college scholarship offers increase as more students invest their time and energy in academics and athletics,” McCord said.
2013 athletes and their college scholarships
Battery Creek High School
• Willie Doe: Football, Newberry College
• Justin Frazier: Football, Limestone College
• Michael Harbin: Football, Limestone College
Beaufort High School
• Trey Arrant: Wrestling, Coker College
• Michelle Britton: Golf, Limestone College
• Caleb Gee: Football, Charleston Southern University
• JaClay Mixon: Football, Limestone College
• Molly Murphy: ROTC, University of South Carolina
• Kaila Smith: Track, Coastal Carolina University
• Mack Stansell: Soccer, Brewton Parker College
• David Tilton: Baseball, Erskine College
• Nicki Schoning: Soccer, Charleston Southern University
• Alex Vinson: Soccer, Erskine College
Whale Branch Early College High School
• Devonta’ Delaney: Football, The Citadel
• S’Nitra Mack: Basketball, Allen University
• Tyrik Spicer: Football, Edward Waters College
• Jamie Whalen: Volleyball, Savannah State University