• Thursday, Nov. 29: Digital Awareness Week continues.
• Thursday, Nov. 29: Parents Academy #2! This free, community event, will be focused on Internet Safety for Children. The presentation will be by Sgt. Mike Jennings from the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on the BA
campus. Childcare will be provided. RSVP to MJ Simmons at 843-524-3393 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Monday, Dec. 3: All-School Coat Drive begins (in cooperation with Furniture Warehouse’s 22nd Annual Coat Drive). Ends December 18.
• Monday, Dec. 3: Presentation for 5th and 6th grade girls by Dr. Eve Ashby.
LADY’S ISLAND MIDDLE SCHOOL
• Please tune to 1630 AM on your radio station while dropping off or picking up you students. Our radio range is approximately 1 mile radius.
• SIC and PTO will not have a meeting in December.
• Thursday, Nov. 29: 5 p.m. LIMS Basketball vs Riverview.
• Friday, Nov. 30: Movie Night. Call guidance for more information
• Tuesday, Dec. 4: LIMS Basketball vs Whale Branch Middle School at 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, Dec. 4: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group will meet at Beaufort Elementary at 6 p.m. Childcare provided. For More Information, call Ashley Hutchison at 521-2399.
• Thursday, Dec. 6: LIMS Basketball at H.E. McCracken Middle at 5 p.m.
• Friday, Dec. 7: Progress Reports go home.
• Thursday, Nov. 29: Basketball at Lady’s Island Middle School. Girls 5 p.m., Boys at 5:45 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 30: No school, Parent Conferences
• Friday, Nov. 30: Board nominations due.
• Monday, Dec. 3: Basketball at Beaufort Academy, Girls at 4 p.m., Boys at 4:45 p.m.
• Tuesday, Dec. 4: 6:30 p.m., Third Grade Play
• Thursday, Dec. 6: Chick-fil-A Spirit Night.
Convenience store company donates to district
A local convenience store company has donated $4,000 to Beaufort County schools as part of an ongoing promotion at its outlets.
Parker’s, which operates 28 convenience stores in six counties across southeastern Georgia and South Carolina, said the proceeds came from its “Fueling the Community” program. That promotion gives one cent of every gallon of gas sold on the first Wednesday of each month to local schools.
Parker’s President and CEO Greg Parker said his company’s gift was part of a larger $20,000 contribution to area schools in Georgia and South Carolina.
“By any measure, education serves as a critical factor in determining future success,” Parker said. “This donation is an important way for Parker’s to make a meaningful investment in the future of Beaufort County.”
Board approves 2013-14 calendar
The Beaufort County Board of Education today approved a district-wide calendar for the 2013-14 school year that begins on August 12, 2013, and ends June 5, 2014.
The August 12-June 5 calendar was one of two options considered by the Board, the other being a calendar that ended on May 29 but featured shorter holiday breaks. Parents and educators who participated in a pair of surveys in recent days favored by 4-1 margins the calendar with the later closing date that included longer holiday breaks.
The board-approved calendar includes a five-day Thanksgiving holiday and two weeks off in December.
Send school happenings to email@example.com.