The Lady’s Island Garden Club held a rededication ceremony recently for their Blue Star Memorial Marker originally placed on St. Helena Island.
The Blue Star Memorial program began after World War II when garden clubs wished to honor the men and women who fought so successfully for freedom and peace. In cooperation with highway officials, they planted avenues of trees along the roadway, creating a living memorial. These highways became known as Blue Star Highways. Then a marker was designed featuring a blue star taken from the small service flag used by families during the war to honor their sons and daughters in the military. These became known as Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers. The appearance of rust in the center of the sign represents the blood that was shed.
The Lady’s Island Garden Club marker was originally placed at the Lady’s Island/St.Helena Fire Station on Highway 21 and dedicated on May 9, 1986. This Blue Star Marker was the first one installed in Beaufort County. After years of deterioration by age and elements, the Marker was moved because of the closing of the fire station in St. Helena and the marker is now on Lady’s Island Drive at a more suitable location for the public’s viewing.
In attendance were: Chaplain Courtney Peeples, Chapter 1948, Military Order of the Purple Heart who gave the Invocation; Paul Sweet, Chapter Commander, No. 1948, Military Order of the Purple Heart; Captain Greg Carroll, Director, Public Affairs, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island; Lt. Col. Edward J. Danielson, Commanding Officer, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion, MCRD, Parris Island; Maj. Gen. Michael Akey (Ret.), USAF, President, Lowcountry Chapter, Military Officers Association of America; Tommy Logan and many other dignitaries and Club members. The Color Guard from Parris Island Marine Corps Depot also participated.