fbpx

Holiday hazards for pets

Xylitol poisoning can kill your dog

XYLITOL is a sweetener that is found in a wide range of products. It might also go by other names, including wood sugar, birch sugar, and birch bark extract. Peanut butter and other nut butters

Sugar-free desserts

Sugar-free candy and mints

Sugar-free jams, jellies 

Sugar-free gum

Mouthwashes, oral rinses, and toothpastes

Cough syrups

Medicines for adults and children

Dietary supplements (like fiber gummies and sleep aids) 

ALWAYS check the ingredient label!

Xylitol poisoning can start within 20 minutes!! Signs include:

Vomiting

Decreased activity level

Weakness and collapse

Difficulty walking or standing

Shaking or seizures

Coma

Liver failure

Bleeding problems

Call your vet, emergency animal clinic, or animal poison control center if you think your dog has eaten a product containing XYLITOL. Every second counts!! 

Source: fda.gov; content current as of 10/21/2022

Previous Story

Beaufort comes back for more

Next Story

Can music help someone with Alzheimer’s disease?

Latest from Health

BMH named Top Hospital

In January, team members throughout Beaufort Memorial hospital celebrated the hospital being recognized as one of