Historic Beaufort Foundation releases guide book

The 10th edition of The Guide to Historic Beaufort published by Historic Beaufort Foundation will be available December 22nd in time for Christmas giving. First published in 1970, the 10th edition has been revised and expanded and for the first time printed in color. Scholars, historians, property owners and a volunteer research committee have provided an additional 15 years of research since the last edition in 1999.

Of 500 historic structures representing three centuries of history and architecture in Beaufort, more than 170 of these sites are photographed and described in the book and represent the five different neighborhoods in the National Historic Landmark District: the Point, the Old Commons, the Northwest Quadrant, the Bluff and the Downtown.

The historic home at 1207 Bay Street.
The historic home at 1207 Bay Street.

Written and edited by Maxine Lutz and Donald Kenney, the book expands on the architectural description of each site by placing the structures in the context of Beaufort’s history. Readers will learn a lot about Beaufort’s history as well as its architecture.

There are 35 new entries which will expand readers’ experience of the whole historic district and not just the parts that are typically on tours. New scholarship, mostly researched by former HBF executive director Evan Thompson, reflects new information about the Old Commons, the Northwest Quadrant and the Downtown.

Color photography by well-known professional Beaufort photographer Paul Keyserling has made the 180 page volume an art and coffee table book as much as a guidebook. Keyserling’s photographs place each structure in its natural environment. Past editions were in black and white and Keyserling will make his prints available to property owners who want copies.

The book also exposes the hand that HBF has had in preservation in Beaufort. The reader will be aware of how deep HBF’s involvement has been in saving many buildings both through financial investment, negotiating and hands-on preservation.

Previous Story

Port Royal Elementary listed on National Register of Historic Places

Next Story

Lady’s Island Elementary performs holiday show

Latest from Uncategorized