Arrest made quickly in Dec. 30 Burton shooting

in News by

Staff reports

Terrance Morgan was arrested Tuesday, Dec. 31 and charged with murder, attempted murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime in connection with the Dec. 30 shooting in Burton that resulted in the death of 26-year-old Medicus Watson.

Around 1:50 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 30, Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office deputies and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel responded to a report of gunshot victims at a residence on Roberts Lane in Burton.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, there were three gunshot victims at the scene – one deceased and two  wounded. The scene was secured by deputies, while EMS transported the two wounded men.

The deceased man was identified by the Beaufort County Coroner’s Office as Watson. One of the men that was transported by EMS remained hospitalized, while the other man was treated and released Monday.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, investigators interviewed witnesses and processed the crime scene for forensic evidence. From the scene, multiple cartridge casings were collected, as were a variety of illegal drugs.

Investigators learned there was a dispute over a card game between the deceased man, Watson, and the 30-year-old Morgan of Grays Hill, who was the man wounded, treated and released from the hospital.

During the dispute, according to the Sheriff’s Office, Morgan presented a firearm and, a short time later, there was an exchange of gunfire outside of the shed where the card game was being held.

The exchange of gunfire resulted in the death of Watson, as well as the wounding of the unnamed man and Morgan.

Monday afternoon, Sheriff’s Office investigators met with a Beaufort County magistrate, who issued warrants for the arrest of Morgan.

With the arrest warrants in hand, investigators drove to Morgan’s Peaceful Way, Grays Hill, residence. According to investigators, as the lead vehicle approached, they observed Morgan in the yard. When Morgan saw them approaching, he pointed a handgun at their vehicle.

After pointing the handgun, Morgan began to flee on foot. The three investigators in the lead car got out of their vehicle and gave chase, at which time Morgan turned around and again pointed the handgun at them. Morgan then threw the handgun and, after a short foot chase, the investigators were able to apprehend him.

No one was injured during the arrest and no shots were fired. Morgan was transported to the Beaufort County Detention Center and incarcerated without further incident, according to the
Sheriff’s Office.

On Tuesday, investigators obtained arrest warrants to charge Morgan with three counts of pointing and presenting a firearm. Morgan was served with the arrest warrants at the Detention Center, where he was incarcerated.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the handgun Morgan pointed at investigators was recovered and, after a National Crime Information Center records check was conducted, was listed as stolen out in Port Royal. Investigators are following up on that report.